+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo vs Graphite

Default Bamboo vs Graphite

Someone has probably asked this before so forgive me if you've already discussed this to death but I've never fished a bamboo rod. Is there a lot of difference from a graphite rod? Is one more sensitive than the other, is one able to cast a fly farther? Or is the main difference aesthetics and personal preference?

For a casting ONLY comparison get a slow graphite rod and fill the grip with lead and you will be able to expierence something like casting a Bamboo rod.

RoyC

Bearing in mind that I am by no means an expert on the subject, here goes:

The rod doesn't cast the line farther, that's really more dependant on the person operating the rod. A well built rod (wether it's graphite, fiberglass or bamboo), suited to the operators casting style will certainly help, but really, it's up to you to put the fly where you want it to go. As far as being more sensitive, yes, some bamboo rods are more sensitive than some graphite rods, but then, some graphite rods are more sensitive than some lower end bamboo rods. This being said, there are a few reasons that I prefer bamboo over graphite: 1) It looks really nice 2)If I break it, I can repair it, plus it comes with an extra tip so I don't have to stop fishing if it does break 3)I can make the rods myself to whatever length/weight/action/color that I can think of. If you want a bit more info about the 'boo thing, this is a great place to be asking questions. Might try this website as well: [url=http://www.goabra.org/.:c35eb]http://www.goabra.org/.[/url:c35eb] Hope this info helps. Feel free to email me if you've got more questions that I might be able to answer.

Joe Martin
    Salem, OR
    Photojoe4@aol.com

I agree with the sensitivity of the upper end Bamboos. I did check out the Elk Horn boo at the show and sorry to say, I didn't care for it at all. It is way too heavy and would require an equaly heavy reel to balance it out (but to each their own). The closest I have seen for a graphite to feel like a boo would be the Trout Bum, but even that isn't quite the same. I have caught more fish with my boo that I would have normally missed (specially with a 30-32 fly)
    I also agree that the casting depends on the caster. You do have to get use to the feel of a bamboo and learn to slow down....a lot.

If you are standing on a bridge overlooking a trout stream and you gaze down the stream at the fisherfolk, it's easy to tell the one that's fishing bamboo. That person looks very relaxed and is slowly working the stream.

In comparison, the other folks seem to be on their 8th cup of very strong coffee and are busy jerking their rods back and forth with great determination. They do not seem nearly as relaxed as the one person fishing a bamboo rod.

An exageration??? Possibly, but you sort of get the picture. I do maintain a couple of early plastic rods for heavy duty work on the salt for Tarpon and large Bonefish... but I also use a 9wt Orvis for the same situation.

Bamboo is certainly not for everyone, and I would not advocate it for everyone. But there is a definite group of folks that would use nothing else, except in very unique situations.

Is this good or bad???? No, it's just that these things are different, and it would only take you about one day's fishing to figure out which "camp" you were in.

My bride was so-so about fly fishing... until she took a casting class with my then recently purchased Orvis bamboo... and it was downhill from there. She now loves fly fishing... and HER bamboo rods. Of course she spends as much time standing in the river looking at the eagles, and the herons, and the other folks, etc as she does fishing... but she truly enjoys... and that REALLY makes me happy.

Petri Heil,

Ralph

I can't say much about the issue other than when I do fish the boo rods I have I really do have to make myself slowdown quite a bit. It requires a rythem all of it's own.

------------------
    Ed Mercado
    [url=http://www.mercconsulting.com:c9d20]http://www.mercconsulting.com[/url:c9d20]
    Web Design for Central Florida.

If you are use to casting graphite the first thing you notice when you pick up a bamboo rod is the weight. Bamboo rods are heavier than a comparable sized graphite.
    There are some good and bad examples in rods made of either material.
    I will say the best casting rod I have ever held in my hand was a Ron Kusse quad that belonged to the late Ron Koenig.

All the above are absolutely true, but there's more to the story. Modern rodmakers are making bamboo rods lighter and "faster" than their vintage counterparts. I have an 8'#7 by Harry Boyd and it's medium-fast or better, and will throw a whole heckuva lot of line in Harry's hands, and do pretty impressive for a rank caster like me! So comparing the weight and action of a rod like this to say a comprable South Bend or Granger is really inadequate. Slower than a fast-actioned graphite! Yes! A noodle? No, not at all. This isn't to cast dispersion on the older rods; I have two of them!

Most important to me, at least, is that bamboo is a living material, and I like the feel of it better. I think I can feel the fish better, the take, the fight, etc, but maybe it's all in my mind. Either way, I love 'em and will fish with 'em as long as I can.

Best,
    R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:20b78]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:20b78]

[This message has been edited by RStouff (edited 20 March 2006).]

Blog Entries

You ought to be a politician JC.

I have a Diamondglass fiberglass rod that I bought a couple of years ago. It has a similar action to bamboo but it is not as heavy. To be honest I like a little faster rod for fishing drys but it is awesome for indicator nymphing.

------------------
    Born to fish forced to work.
    Alan

+ Reply to Thread