+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bristle-tack

Default Bristle-tack

What are your experiences with Bristle-tack fly boxes? Do they hold flies as securely as advertised? Are they as easy to use and efficient as C&F type slit boxes.

Thanks in advance.

If you mean the fly boxes with hundreds of little rubber posts: Save your money. Like Vocelli, I too threw it out.

Allan

Tyeflies, maybe your are thinking of Nubby Tack. Or maybe not.

I have two Bristle Tac Fly Boxes and really like them. I have had them for 10 years now. They still hold flies as securely as when they were new. I keep nymph and streamer patterns on hooks from size 16 through 4 in them. The flies do not fall our or even shake out. I have worn through many foam boxes in that time but the Bristle Tac boxes are still going strong.

I agree with tailingloop about the effectiveness of the bristle-tack boxes. I bought a couple on the recommendation of the late Gary LaFontaine. Gary reportedly loaded one up with flies, then threw it up against a wall. Not a fly was dislodged.

Have I tested mine like that? Heck no, but I've never had a fly come loose in over five years. Nor have I thrown anything up against a wall heavier than my shadow.

Best,
    Will

Nubby tack are the ones i HAD.Yes the flies
    did not hold in these,save your money and buy the c&F boxes.

tailingloop,

I apologize and recant my comment about 'Bristle-tack fly boxes'. Actually, I have no experience with that brand. You are right. It was the 'Nubby Tack' fly box I was refering to.

Allan

Bristle Tack (hook from hook and loop, aka "Velcro") is great for small to medium flies. Not tiny flies, not big flies. It's black.

Nubby Tack is great for medium to big flies. Not small. It's white.

+ Reply to Thread