+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graphite fly reels

I think graphite reels are fine for freshwater and lite saltwater fishing. I often use a LA graphite reel. It's light and helps minimize line coils.
    Randy

I have several different graphite frame reels in my battery of reels.

Even the ones I only paid $20 for are holding up fine, and these are approaching the 20 year mark.

I'm not using them for fish like tuna and carp though, just trout, bass, pike, panfish, etc.. Seldom use the drag at all.

As to the 'advantage' of the material, cost and strength to weight ratio are the top selling points for most stuff made from graphite.

I bought mine because they were inexpensive, functional reels.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

First time we fished for false albacore, my partner used an old Cortland graphite reel. We were all amazed that it held up to those burners but he handled about 20 fish on that trip without a problem.

Regards,
    Scott

nighthawk Guest

I bought a brand new Cortland once. Fished with it for a week and gave it to a buddy who liked it. I couldn't stand the thing. Maybe it was me or just that reel but it put me off of these types of reels. There are just too many quality older models out there you can get for under $100. Heck all but one of mine are under $50 bucks. One of the reasons I like yard sale season. Still plenty of folks out there that don't know what they have. I just don't like the graphite reels. Just MHO.

When evaluating failures in graphite composite reels and what that means in terms of effectiveness of that material in a reel we need to look at what failed in the reel. Was it the composite frame and spool, or some other element such as a gear, bearing, rivet, metal spindle et cetera , or was it the frame/spool itself? Was the reel dropped and the spindle bent off axis? Was there some poor element in the design as in the reel foot issue I mentioned in my earlier post. Was there shoddy workmanship.

I have seen plenty of aluminum reels were the spool rubbed the frame or with warped spools or split spools. I warped a spool myself on an Echo reel by winding backing on too tight with a line winding machine. My fault.

As with aluminum reels designs some graphite composite designs are better than others.

I'm not a great fan of composite reels but they can be just as durable as metal reels and they have their place.

If you want reviews of the Crosswater, assuming it is the older model, check the Okuma Airframe. It was the same (but much more popular) reel, rebranded. So was one of Cabela's, but don't rember model. I have both AF and CW reels, and interchange parts on them...and I love them...but then I don't get out much.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I used an Okuma Airframe in a 5wt. Problem I had was the line getting stuck between the spool and the frame. It was annoying so I replaced it with a better quality metal reel. My friend says, and I agree, the reel ain't nothing but a holder for the line you ain't using. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Thanks Gents, I appreciate all your input.
    I believe I can fly fish

I've got several. Zero issues.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

+ Reply to Thread