+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L2L connector question

Default L2L connector question

Either it's not clear on the S.A. website, or I'm a big dummy but must you buy special S.A. leaders with the plastic gizmo attached to use the L2L connectors?

Thanks!

Yes.

Yes you do have to buy the special SA L2L leaders - but the good news is that the leaders were a dollar cheaper than the other competing brands, at least at the Sportsman's Warehouse I was at Thursday. ($3.79 for Climax & Umpquia (sp) and $2.79 for the SA)

So I just bought the SA leaders and cut the little doohicky off.

Is a blood knot so hard that it's come to this?

Only when you're half-blind in one eye and can't see out the other, like me.

I started using the Eagle Claw Leader Links. So far, so good, and I can use store-bought leaders of any brand without the specialty connector.

R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:9136a]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:9136a]

watch where the plastic meets the fly line. Both connectors I used wore thru the lines so I cut off the connectors and tossed them.

I've got a few of the leaders and connectors, and IMHO, they are NOT an improvement over the Eagle Claw Leader Links. The attachment mechanism is the same, the only difference is that the SA link is 2 pieces, where the Eagle Claw is a single piece. Seems to me that with two pieces, the chance for failure is twice as high.

I agree with JC on this. I've used 'em. The leader quality was good. They were just as advertised. I don't use them routinely. Thanks to Kat Scott, I'm "rollin' my own" now. But if attaching leader to line is a challenge for any reason, they work great. Not for everyone, but another option. (Like we don't have enough options already!!)

Tight Lines!

Jeff
    "If you don't loosen up that buckle on your heart and start to chuckle, your gonna die of boredom, Safety Joe" ~John Prine

What a joke!

Allan

I am "into" furled leaders and will probably stay with them due to their performance for my style of fishing. As far as the SA L2L connectors go, I think that all manufacturers will constantly come up with new ideas to keep customers coming back. Some will be great improvements for us fly fisherpersons and some will be great marketing ideas that will boost their sells. There will always be those people who would rather buy every new gizmo that comes out thinking it will make them a better fisherperson because it is easier to purchase and hope for improvement than it is to apply a lot of time on the water to improve naturally. Let's face up to it, the younger generation is always looking for an easier way to get where they want to be.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread