+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fred Arbogast flyrod poppers?

Default Fred Arbogast flyrod poppers?

Does anyone use these discontinued flyrod poppers,interesting thing is that they have the same rubber skirts on the rear just like there conventional tackle models.Found out they were made in a 1000 model which is 3/32 oz with a 1/0 hook a 1050 model with a #2 hook at 1/16 oz,a 1150 which was the same but with weedguard and a 1400 model which was 1/32 oz with a #8 hook.I found that there was also a 1/24 oz model but couldn't find a hook size for it?

Back in the early 80's I used them with my ultra-light spinning rod and 2lb test line; they actually cast okay. Never did try them with a fly rod, I'll have to dig through my old tackle box and see if I still have them. Worth a cast just for grins. Didn't they make a "flyrod" version of the old Flatfish, too?

Regards,
    Scott

Thomas,

I had a few of these I picked up at a swap meet. The original vinyl tail skirts on them had rotted, so I replaced them with new silicone skirts I had on hand.

They cast like crap. I don't know if they are too heavy, or if they have too little wind resistance, but I didn't enjoy throwing them. Hit the water very hard, kind of jerky on the backcast like a too heavy clouser. Even the 9 wt. didn't seem to 'like' these poppers. Only rod I have that cast these even close to smoothly was an old 7 wt. cane rod...maybe the slower and heavier rod is what they were made for?

They do have a nice action on the water, though, and the bass like them.

With modern materials you can easily make a similar shaped bait that would be lots lighter and give you the same action on the water.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread