+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone National Park Flies

Default Yellowstone National Park Flies

I will be spending a week in Yellowstone National Park at the end of August. I don't do a lot of trout fishing, being more of a warm water fisherman. I want to start tying and accumulating flies for the trip. I've tied up some hare's ear and prince nymphs along with some hoppers and beetles in various sizes. I have plenty of wooly buggers and other streamers.

Anything that I have read about this subject has indicated that I need a big assortment of dry flies since there are so many types of bugs in Yellowstone waters. Can anyone give an idea of how to narrow down a reasonable assortment of flies to take there?

Blue Ribbon (in West Yellowstone) is a great source:
    http://blue-ribbon-flies.com/

Do you have any definite idea on where you'll be? Different parts of the park fish better at different times. West side (Madison in the park, Firehole, Gibbon) will probably be shut down due to high temps. NE and NW end of the park (Yellowstone, Lamar, Slough, Soda Butte, Gardiner) are the big draws that time of year and will tend to be a bit crowded, although there are ways around that if you're willing to hike. That's prime terrestrial season - hoppers, beetles, ants, crickets. Caddis should be good, some mayflies, too. For hoppers, I use a few patterns (Charlie Boy, Al's Campbell's Foam Hopper) in various sizes 4-14 and colors, for beetles foam back/peacock body, crickets usually just a black Charlie Boy. Caddis - CDC & Elk, Iris, X2, various softhackles. Mayflies - parachutes, Harrop Hair wing dun, Sparkle Dun, Barr's Viz-a-dun, rusty spinners. Also general attractor dries - foam-back Convertibles, Humpies, Turk's Tarantula, etc. You can fish nymphs and streamers, too and do well, but with all the dry opportunities available, I usually like to stay on top.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 04-24-2015 at 05:10 AM.

Last edited by planettrout; 03-25-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post

Madison River at $3.00 Bridge...in August...

PT/TB
    I know that exact rock and log. I've fished the evening hatch there and at the next rock up stream next to the bank.

Nice!
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I want to second ScottP. The summer that I worked in the park, the NW section of the park was very productive that time of year. My fly box was very limited as I didn't take my vice/materials with me, and minimum wage can only buy so many flies. The good news is that you can get by with just a few flies. Hopper/droppers (Dave's, foam, really anything coupled with a prince or hare's ear nymph), Royal Convertibles, Madam-X, Turk's Tarantula, will be about all you need to get a good mix and get started. It is important to have several sizes as well, sometimes I felt size was as much or more important than pattern. Above all, Yellowstone is the greatest place in the world, and the Lamar, Soda Butte and Slough Creek are simply amazing that time of year.

Lamar, Soda Butte and Slough Creek have lots of fish and they love Chernoble Ants! Here is a link to the article Bob Jacklin wrote for us on where/when and what to fish in Yellowstone in August: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...tone/part4.php
    There are several other parts which cover the rest of the year. Shows the flies as well.

I have not been to Yellowstone in quite a few years but the experience is beyond what is normally regular fly fishing in most states. There is a lot of water, different fishing opportunities, and most of it is the way it used to be before Industrialized America. Wild fish and insects that feed them are in abundance. It will be for most fisherman a life time experience and that's the way it should be. Sometimes the fish are so easy to catch you just have to look around and wonder about the fuss made over the sport's complexity. Add that the hatches and fishing conditions are predictable. You can depend on what the fish will eat for the most part on what time of the year it is and local fly shop reports. It's a cycle that's been going on forever.

For the most part if you can drift a fly for a couple of feet in a mixed current in a river you will be able to catch any fish the park has to offer and if you experience refusals change the size of your fly, most often this will solve the problem. Still water in the park has all the midges, callibaetis, damsels, dragons and scuds you would expect, so fish those. I think you will have the flies you need to fish the park. It's not really that big a deal as far as fly selection. Work on a few stream tactics and learn to cast a dead drift dry or wet fly when you need to and you'll be okay.

Hoppers are great in August in the west afternoon.
    "As far down the river as he could see, the trout were rising, making circles on the surface of the water, as though it were starting to rain."- E.H., The Big Two Hearted River

Last year when I fished, Slough, Firehole and Madison I used Hoppers,not foam, PMD, rusty spinner, spruce moth size 10, and PMD flymph.

Soft hackles.... Pmds, hare ears, ptns, caddis, as long as they are soft hackles . this year will be my 14th trip there. reall looking forward to it.
    Last edited by flybugpa; 03-26-2011 at 01:49 AM.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

you could see western green drakes on the yellowstone above the falls. large adams/parachute adams work very well, size 8 or even 6.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

+ Reply to Thread