+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tossing Zacs flies.......

Default tossing Zacs flies.......

I was going to do the "unthinkable" today and fish plastics on a bait caster rig but decided to throw flies instead. Zac had sent me some to try out with an order of crappie jigs he tied for me. Zac is "Quivira Kid" on here. I'm telling you , the action was non stop andthe flie I started with was still in one piece 42 gills later. I did lose the eyes somewhere in the high teens! Anyway here are some pics of the fishies!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Hi nmklagoon and Zac,

Can you post a picture of Zac's fly, and either of you post the pattern?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Hey Gandolf,

Not sure the pattern except what you see in the last picture. I'm sure Zac can give you all the details when he signs on. All I know is it was tied very well to last through that many fish!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Quote Originally Posted by mnklagoon View Post
    ...still in one piece 42 gills later. ...
    How did you find time to count, Chris ??
    The fish are always right.

I know it sounds silly I usually dont count. I wanted to give Zac a report on how the flies held up. I used a crappie counter.

That's freakin AWESOME! Thanks for the pictures, Chris.
    Gandolf, I sent him some Puglisi baitfish. No "specific" pattern, I don't think. Do some research on EP baitfish and you should have plenty of information! They're a relatively simple tie, you just have to pay attention a little.

40+ gills is impressive!

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Hi Quivera,

Thanks for the word Zac, I will look on the net a bit. Do you tie them in about a #8 hook?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

I tied Chris some 6's and some 10's I think... Size 8 will be just about right for bluegills. What's funny to me is I haven't fished these EP flies at all yet! I just learned how to tie them this fall. These pics are getting me excited to whip up another mess of flies and put 'em in front of some Kansas fish!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Zac,

I'm thinking that in the real hot summer down here that a couple wraps of lead to get them down might help. I just dont know how or if it would work. I started throwing my sparkly wooly buggers first but no takes. It is the 1st fly I always use at this pond. I tied on the blu/white EP and off it went! The water was real muddy and a cold front had come in the night before.

That is fantastic! Well done BOTH of you!
    I caught some crappies on one I tied last Spring...seems like you'd have to tie them pretty darn small for bluegills, and obviously those worked really well!
    I was surprised last weekend when I was using a 2" long craft fur Clouser for crappies, but caught a few bluegills on it too. A couple of them had the entire fly in their mouths, and they were probably only 7"-7.5" bluegills! I'm still amazed by it...
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread