+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing carbide studs

Default Installing carbide studs

I'm sure this falls under the category of "everyone knows about this but me", but after fumbling with the key that Simms provides to install studs in Vibram soles (I had a tough time applying sufficient pressure to get the stud screws to bite), I grabbed my trusty Makita variable speed 3/8 drill, chucked the studs and was done in 5 minutes; just used the key for final tightening.

Regards,
    Scott

Glad to know this, will save my arm.

Simms and their carbide studs are a real sore spot for me. Other than this issue, I'm a HUGE fan of theirs. While I've always known I'd pay a little more for their gear, I've also been able to count on superior quality with everything they make and that's been reinforced with every one of a large number of their products that I've bought over the years. That being said, I think they're going overboard with the way they're pricing their vibram boots and studs. It's pretty widely accepted that if you're going to change to Vibram soles, regardless of manufacturer, you'd better get studs too if you want to stay upright. At least one manufacturer (Orvis, who I carry no torch for) includes studs and other manufacturers offer them at a much more reasonable price than Simms. Simms' boots already are priced with the usual premium relative to other brands, which I would again have no trouble accepting given the expected superior quality. But to then be expected to pay $30 for a set of studs that others give away for free or half the Simms price is galling. The worthless wrench that you point out only serves to sprinkle salt in the wound. I hope the few dollars they make on those screws are worth it, because I think they've screwed up from a PR standpoint.

+1 to what John sez
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I bought a pair of Cabela's. Removable studs sounded exactly like what I wanted.

It took me close to two hours to get the studs in. What a freakin' nightmare. I guarantee that they're never coming out.
    Last edited by Steven; 03-21-2011 at 12:11 PM.

Are any of these rubber soled wonders pre-drilled to accept studs? If not I would try pre-drilling a hole, it does make the process a tad easier! If they are pre-drilled a bit of wax on the threads also helps and won't really cause them to loosen over time.

Mine were pre-drilled, I imagine the others were as well.

This whole thread had me curious. I've never had any problem with the things, but I seldom if ever use a hand tool when a power tool is available. Feel some need to protect my hands and not overtax those muscles over something as trivial as studs in a boot...but based on this thread, apparently my experience isn't typical...

I called a friend that used to run a fly shop and asked him about installing studs in various boots...

He told me it was simple. But the first time anyone tries it, it's a night mare. That whole learning curve thing, which the makers do little to alleviate. As long as you treat them like any other screw, and apply accordingly, it's not hard. If you treat them like 'Carbide Studs for Wading Boots' and think they have to be installed with that ridiculous wrench or other apparatus that the makers sell you with the boots/studs, you are in for some struggles.

He kept a cordless drill/driver in the shop for this purpose, and could install a set in just a few minutes. He mentioned that on 'rubber or 'hard type (not felt)' soles, a pilot hole and some soap for lubrication were helpful.

In any event, it's mostly about knowing how.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread