+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spring fishing

Question Spring fishing

Can anyone give me some ideas on some really good fly patterns for spring?

Thanks,
    liljoe

Quote Originally Posted by Liljoe View Post
    Can anyone give me some ideas on some really good fly patterns for spring?

Kinda depends on where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. Perhaps you could provide some more information.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Well I'm from Tn, and I'm fly fishing for trout.

Blog Entries

You might hook up with the Lynchburg FF Club. I'm gonna take a flier and guess that you are going to be fishing the Duck for stockers and maybe the Elk for stockers and hold-over fish. For the stockers you could do worse than a selection of wooly buggers in olive, black, & yellow. Feel free to mix colors and maybe add some red, white, and orange to the mix. Boa yarn leeches have done well. If some of the locals answer, listen to 'em. Some of those guys claim a week is wasted if they don't spend at least part of three days fishing. If you're going to exploit some of the blue-lining opportunities, then you'll need to figure things out for yourself...

Ed
    Last edited by EdD; 03-19-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Liljoe,

You know you only live about a 20 minute drive from me and all you have to do is call and let me know when you are making the trip here and I will gladly take you fishing. Matter of fact, if you cannot find a ride to get here, just call me and I will come get you and bring you to the river, take you fishing and take you back home. I fished the Duck today and caught 23 very healthy 13" to 14" rainbows and only had to wade/walk about a mile of river to catch them. Only tied on one fly and fished it all day. Number 8 hook, white marabou tail with 4 pieces of tinsel flash, white chenille body that had some tinsel particles in it and palmered the body with black hackle. It also had 14 wraps of .020 lead under the chenille body. I had tied up some of these for the fly show in Louisville, KY and the owner of the local Lynchburg fly shop kept them and fished for 1 1/2 hour last Sunday on the Elk and caught 8 Rainbows and they called me today, while I was fishing, and asked that I tie up 2 dozen more for the shop! I would take a picture for you, but, right now I need to get busy tying up 2 dozen of them plus another 1/2 dozen for myself for fishing tomorrow!!

Call me and lets set something up so I can take you fishing.....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Alright! Thanks for the info, and maybe in a couple of days we can meet up on one of the rivers.

What Warren said (except I only caught 21). A red body Copper John or Brassie was a killer in the fast water sections.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Liljoe,

You know you only live about a 20 minute drive from me and all you have to do is call and let me know when you are making the trip here and I will gladly take you fishing. Matter of fact, if you cannot find a ride to get here, just call me and I will come get you and bring you to the river, take you fishing and take you back home. I fished the Duck today and caught 23 very healthy 13" to 14" rainbows and only had to wade/walk about a mile of river to catch them. Only tied on one fly and fished it all day. Number 8 hook, white marabou tail with 4 pieces of tinsel flash, white chenille body that had some tinsel particles in it and palmered the body with black hackle. It also had 14 wraps of .020 lead under the chenille body. I had tied up some of these for the fly show in Louisville, KY and the owner of the local Lynchburg fly shop kept them and fished for 1 1/2 hour last Sunday on the Elk and caught 8 Rainbows and they called me today, while I was fishing, and asked that I tie up 2 dozen more for the shop! I would take a picture for you, but, right now I need to get busy tying up 2 dozen of them plus another 1/2 dozen for myself for fishing tomorrow!!

Call me and lets set something up so I can take you fishing.....
    Hey Warren, Why don't you post a pix of the fly and the recipe. Sounds like a great early season trout getter. I'm sure we'd all appreciate it. I sure would like to tie a few up for my trip next weekend.

Bruce

lastchance,

HOOK - Lightening Strike NW3 in size 8
    UNDERBODY - 14 wraps of .020 lead wire
    TAIL - White marabou with your choice of 4 pieces of tinsel flash
    BODY - White chenille with tinsel already incorporated in it (not sure what it is called)
    HACKLE - any black hackle in appropriate size for the hook
    THREAD - White 8/0 Uni-Thread for tying the fly & then whip finish and go over the head with a whip finish of black 8/0 Uni- thread

There is no wire rib because I do not like using wire for ribbing due to it getting caught in the trout's little teeth and they tear the fly up sooner. I tie all my palmer flies in what is or I call tying in reverse. By this I mean I tie the chenille and hackle in behind the hook eye, run the bobbin and thread back to the tail tie in point, wrap the chenille back and catch it with a couple wraps of the thread, clip the excess, palmer the hackle back and tie it off with the thread and then use the bobbin to counter wrap to the front and do a whip finish. When you tie in reverse like this, you really need to match the tying thread to the body so it does not show up when counter wraped to the front. I find tying this way makes the fly very durable. Yesterday, I used one fly to catch 20+ fish and today I used one fly to catch another 20+ fish. I feel this bugger looks very much like a minnow and has been a very good pattern for me.

Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread