+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: anything new and exciting in the camera field?

G12 has slightly more reach on the long end, the S95 is a stop faster on the wide end (but slightly slower on it's long end), the G12 has a faster max shutter, G12 has a hot shoe, S95 has a slightly bigger screen, and the G12 weighs about twice as much. Both are compact point and shoot cameras, both have fairly small sensors.

Really apologize for bending your ear but do you think this new move with the mirrors , i think Olympus pl something, is going to be a game changer?

Canon S95 has a larger image sensor than the typical point and shoot.

Blog Entries

I thought you wanted more of a point and shoot. A good quality Canon Elf with 12 megapixel would run less than $200. My G9 was $400 and it is not really convenient. Can't slip it in your shirt pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by troutgeek View Post
    Canon S95 has a larger image sensor than the typical point and shoot.
    Yes, but it's the same size as the G12, which is why I didn't mention it.

Really apologize for bending your ear but do you think this new move with the mirrors , i think Olympus pl something, is going to be a game changer?
    No problem. Yes, I do feel that you'll see the ILC systems gain significant ground on both the top-end compacts (G12, P7000, etc) as well as the entry level SLR units (D3100, Rebels, etc) over the next few years. They offer most of the options and image quality of an SLR in a small enough package to take anywhere, while the limitations they have will likely not even be felt by the average user upgrading from a P&S compact. Unfortunately, at this point, their utility is limited by fairly high costs combined with fairly limited lens lineups. It'd be nice to see more mfrs. get on board with the micro 4/3 system, but I see Canon and Nikon entering the game with proprietary mounts. If/when we see an 'entry level ILC' from one company, I think you'll see one from all of them, and then the price war will begin, which will really help the consumer. I don't think it'd be too unreasonable to see basic ILCs from Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Oly, and Panny in the $450-600 price range by summer 2012.

Take a look at the micro 4/3 by both panasonic and olympus. Not the best for action type photos but good for outdoors. General consensus is that the olympus line has better out of camera jpeg images (meaning you don't have to do a lot of post processing). Samsung and Sony have some mirrorless cameras as well, however, lenses are proprietary. Lenses in Panasonic and Olympus are interchangeable. Voigtlander, noktor and Schneider Kreuznach have announced that they will be manufacturing m4/3 lenses as well. I've got an olympus. Preferred it because the image stabilization is in the body and not the lens, while the Panasonic has the stabilization in the lenses. With fairly inexpensive adaptors, you can use legacy lenses from virtually any manufacturer, though you'll lose all the auto settings with them.
    http://www.mu-43.com/
    http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/index.html

As far as pricing goes, epl-1 body, 17mm, 14-42mm, and 40-150mm lenses for a total of right at $725. The only thing that I would change about my set up is having some faster lenses.
    Last edited by PigsEye; 03-16-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Yes, that's true, these ILCs are pretty weak in the fast prime department across the board. That said, in decent light, they will give you sufficient results. Not sure about the m43 cameras, but the Sony NEX bodies have a truly impressive fps rate.

If you do not want a full-body 35-mm SLR style digi, with interchangeable lenses etc,
    the best cameras (still) have a view finder, so you do not have to rely on staring at the lcd
    screen to compose a shot. With those you can turn the lcd off which prolongs the battery to
    several days shooting. When you have a view finder you only use the lcd for quick inspection
    of already taken shots anyway.

The only two I know of are the Nikon something or other and the Canon something or other.
    Sorry about not knowing the model numbers. But those are the only two you routinely find in camera stores.
    They both have a reputation as "backup" cameras for professional photographers, who almost always
    have 30lbs of cameras on hand, but not always. The two range finder cameras are a tad bigger than
    most point and shoots, but not much bigger. So you can stuff them in a pants pocket (if you are not wearing
    tight blue jeans anyway).

NewTyer 1 Guest

I have a great Casio exilim 12.1 MP, very compact and takes great pictures and video and has a youtube upload feature if thats what your into. Around $200.

Quote Originally Posted by deepcreek View Post
    I need to buy a new camera and waterproof is not my main priority. I just want the best picture possible while still operating on full automatic. Is there anything in the space between the point and shoot and the full body cameras that might have a better lens and picture quality for outdoor photos. Thanks
    Hi deepcreek,

Gretchen & I use Nikons for most of our day-to-day work pictures like fly-tying step-by-steps, product shots, weddings, etc. but our grab and go camera is a Fugi HS10. It has a 28 - 700+ zoom, is 12 mp and functions well in auto or manual mode; it even automatically switches to macro mode if/when it finds the subject close enough. It's often referred to as a "bridge camera" because it looks like a DSLR but is really just a super zoom, fixed-lens camera. Our on-the-water camera is an old Optio W10 because it's water proof (for people like me who fall in the water often). The other cameras mentioned are all good as well but some of them are point & shoot and the HS10 is also just an exotic P&S. Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide to purchase. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

+ Reply to Thread