+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I take?

Blog Entries

Default What should I take?

I know this is a *horribly* broad question, but: headin' down to the Fort Meyers area, this week, to celebrate our birthdays with an old friend. Only going to be there a few days but we'll do some fishing. He's got a nice boat but is relatively new to FL and I think most of his fishing involves "bait".

Buddy and I sent him a pretty decent 8 weight combo (so we'd have something to fish with when we visit ). I hope to try and catch something (anything) on the fly when I'm down there. His house is on a canal and I know he has mentioned snook - just simply don't know what else might be there. He says he is still catching fish he can't identify.

Probably won't subject him to too much flyfishing as I Know it's a lot more fun for the guy doing it than those watching. I have a "light" 6 weight and a 3 weight I could get in the suitcase. Is there any reason to pack either? I'll take a few "bass" flies and hope to stop by Bass Pro down there so I can get some suggestions.

Can anyone give me some "quick" direction? Pulling out Wed.

thnx... g
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I dont fish there but I have friends that live there and fish hard...think snook, jacks, redfish, trout and even jewfish(goliath grouper) and sharks...topwater gurglers and poppers are good...clousers and EP minnows are good, especially tan over black in that area and the Everglades Minnow for EP...8wt is fine...resident tarpon probably are around in the canals early and late with the snook...remember that snook perfer night over day and even more they prefer FALLING tides to ambush...might be thinking cichlids and talapia and bass in the freshwater areas or sweetwater...good luck, you WILL get fish...

BFW summed it up for ya. I would try finger mullet type patern, maybe a crab or shrimp patterns. Dock lighst at night are you friend.

I wouldn't bother with the 3wt or 6wt. If you really knew the area, the 6wt might come in handy now and then. But that's 8-13wt territory in the saltwater down there. And off the salt you're talking about LMB where you'd want at least a short 7wt, but probably an 8 or 9wt. I fish down there quite a bit.

Blog Entries

Thank you so very much for the replies. Drop me in any lake in Canada or any river in the Midwest and I'm not a bit intimidated.. but you talk about being lost. I'll know more next trip -
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

I'm a little north of there, but it's all the same down here.
    Take the 6 if it's all you've got, but his 8 is a lot better. Leave the 3 unless he has BG ponds nearby.
    Sounds like he's not much of an angler and you don't know the area or S/W at all. Given that, I wouldn't expect much in the way of redfish, snook, shark, etc. They're too difficult on flies for even a lot of the locals and take some first-hand experience to catch.
    Get about a Type III 10-ft sink tip line or a full sink I or II, some simple leaders with 15-20# bite tippets, a handful of all white or white/chartreuse or wh/pink #2 Clousers, and drift the shallow inshore grass flats (3-7 feet) for trout, ladyfish, mackeral, jacks, blues, etc. Just drift and cast, getting the flies down near the bottom and stripping back. Some of those flies won't last long on the sharp teeth, but you'll have a blast. If you tie, make some up in both bucktail and synthetics. The BT hair is better for trout but the synthetic holds up better. Ask at the ramp where to go. Anyone there will know general areas to send you.

dont forget to post your pictures!!!

Blog Entries

Again - thanks.. 8 weight it is - as I said - he doesn't even flyfish at this time so the combo we sent him is so we'd have one to fish with.

At this point, a ladyfish would be as good as a tarpon. I just want to catch "something". I know he told me he has had snook under his dock light at night and has had jacks driving baitfish right there also. So I'll definitely be trying that.

Looking forward to it - and there will be pics of *any* success.

thnx.. g

Ladyfish can be a blast. The ones up here in the panhandle go bananas when hooked. Thier pretty much mini tarpon!

little late now, but when faced with this i took two rods, a 7/8 fiberglass and an 8wt fast action graphite.
    i used the graphite once, and far preferred the glass rod. the lady fish were a hoot, so much so i gave up on snook for an afternoon and chased them crashing bait into the shore instead.

next time i go back, i'll ditch the graphite rod and maybe even add something more willowly for the ladyfish and pond bass.

+ Reply to Thread