+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pontoon Boat Trailers

Default Pontoon Boat Trailers

I'm curious to know if any of your pontoon owners have used a Haul-Master trailer? They can be purchased from Harbor Freight for a pretty low price. Yeah, I know you get what you pay for, but the difference between this and other trailers is quite dramatic.
    [url=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154:e6126]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154[/url:e6126]

------------------
    [url=http://www.rockymtnfly.com:e6126]Rocky Mountain Fly[/url:e6126]

PaulM,

I have never used one since my Hobie Cat fits into the back of my Mazda truck and only weighs 34 pounds. I know several fisherman around here that have purchased the smaller ski-doo trailers either used or new and have converted them to haul their pontoons. That may be something you can research.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I used one of those trailers for years to haul a racing kart. It worked well. The ability to fold it was very handy as I lived in Massachusetts at the time and stored my equipment for the winter. -- BUT -- I will echo Vocelli on the backing aspect. I towed it with a Datsun hatch-back and had to open the hatch to see to back it. Also, being short-coupled (small distance from the hitch to the axle) made it very difficult to back up.

I think you may be able to do better on the used market, at least around here where folks use small flat bed trailers to move lawn equipment.

Clint
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

We too use those trailers. We first bought the bigger one (the one that folds in half)However on one of our outings someone ran over the back of our tailer and mashed the back end pretty good. My husband had a welder at work, that for cost of metal and labor ($200) took the axle and made us this trailer which ended up 10'x 6' which with our 11 1/2' boats worked much better.
    We also bout the small trailer for our 4' Echo pontoon boats due to the fact that I drive a Suzuki Grand Vitara that has no room for two of these boats. I like the idea of trailers, quick load and un load. However I would recommend the 12" wheels.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

[This message has been edited by Fly Goddess (edited 17 March 2006).]

I have hauled more "stuff" with one of those than I care to remember. When all said and done though after putting on a treated deck and all other modifications you will have an easy $400 bucks into it. The reason I gave mine away is the paint was low Q and it was all rusty.
    I bought a new aluminum trailer to take its place. $700 for no more rust, better axle, bearings, lights, heavier payload and no modifications needed. Cheaper is not always a better price.

Fly_Line aluminum is a great answer. Minus the fact that someone destoyed our trailer and we had to redo it. The plywood was maybe $50. and varnish $20. plus the original trailer at $249. (for large $179. for small). It was cost efficiant (MS) for us, plus we keep it in the garage in the summer and cover it with tarps in the winter....no rust problem----YET. LOL

------------------

Thanks for all the comments. I already have a couple trailers, so I know what it's like to backup shorter and smaller trailers..

The alumninum trailer idea is a good one. I simply don't know how much I'll be using the trailer, so I hate to invest in something real nice at this point. The Scadden toon already cost a few $$$ and I'm not sure the boss(read wife) will be all the excited about another big purchase!

PaulM
    For what it's worth, we have a Ford Van "Econoline" and with the boats deflated and the toons folded over the top, we are able to get both in the back of the van. Do this on trips so no one see's the boats.
    I have one of the LVM pumps and a small rechargeable battery. Pumps the boats up in no time, then top them off with a hand pump. (note: never use the LVM pump on a car battery while car is running-will fry it)

------------------

Thanks Goddess, I was playing around with the configuration of my truck and I may just defalte the tubes and assemble at the river. I purchased a 2 man unit and the tubes are 13' long. Big boys. Since it doesn't take much time to assemble, I'm thinking I might just bypass the whole trailer thing for now.

------------------
    [url=http://www.rockymtnfly.com:d4fa6]Rocky Mountain Fly[/url:d4fa6]

+ Reply to Thread