+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HEY kIWI's !!!!!

Default HEY kIWI's !!!!!

Recently our fly club was given several blank rods that were manufactured in New Zealand, and was wondering what the quality was like. I googled the maker and see that there are many dealers throughout the country, so apparently it's a popular rod.

Specifically, the rods are 12 and 12-14 wts, some 3-piece, some 4 piece, all 9 footers.

They are GD Rods, manufactured by Composite Developments, (NZ) Ltd.

Any information you could impart would be greatly appreciated by all our members.

Best regards,

Bill
    Panhandle Flyfishers of Destin, FL
    I flyfish the salt because the voices in my head tell me to...

If my memory is working *S* I believe the original Redington rods produced by Jim Murphy were produced by them. This was before Far Bank (Sage) bought the company. They were quality rods.

LF,

Thanks for the info. But a question:

Does that mean that Sage has a hand in producing the rods other than owning the company? Are the GD Rods distributed in the U.S. by Sage under another name?

Blog Entries

caibill,

Here are a few links to check out just in case you have not seen them already.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    http://www.cdrods.co.nz/

http://www.nzfishing.com/GoodsandServices/NZGoodsandServices/CDRods/CDRodsNZ.htm

http://www.cdrods.co.nz/Composite+Developments.html

Hi Guys, the CD rods are very good, they are not owned by Sage, but CD did used to make some blanks for reddington under contract.
    CD have moved there manufacturing to China, so the blanks are no longer made in NZ. However they have obviously put alot of effort into quality control as the rods they produce are still very good. As with most non U.S. companys the warranty is not life time, but 5 years and limited. So if you smash the rod in your car door you are not covered.
    Hope this helps some.
    All the best.
    Mike

All y'all,

Thanks for the info.

I just didn't want to build a heavy-duty rod with good components on a not-so-good stick.

Our members thank you.

Regards,

Bill

Bill this is before Sage (Far Bank) was involved in any way. I recall their designer Jerry Seim making a trip to China after Sage bought Redington so I don't think the rods are now made in NZ....just that they were and the rods were dandy.

+ Reply to Thread