+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP baitfish question

Default EP baitfish question

I just started tying these dudes this winter. I'll be using them for warmwater species this spring and summer. So far, I've been glueing eyes on with flexament, and I'm starting to question the durability of them. How many fish can you catch before the eyes fall off? Are they still effective without them?
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

I always use Marine Goop to adhere the eyes to my bairfish patterns. It remains flexible and the eyes stay on for quite a while, certainly several dozen fish at least. If you do lose an eye, simply replace it when you're back at the bench and you should be back in business.

Jim Smith

I have tied a few of those and found that Zap is better. Need to be real careful and not get any on the eyes themselves. I don't know if flexament has enough "body" for that job. Could be wrong. As far as effective goes if would depend somewhat on the pattern you use; flash, contrast etc. but my opinion is that eyes make any streamer that much more effective.

For #3/0 saltwater tarpon EP flies: Amazing Goop - Plumbing which is clear or even Fletch-Tite works well. There's a few other products that are better, but more expensive & don't last all that much longer especially if the fly is going to be snapped off or jumped off & only gets cast once .

I use goop also. It is very effective for this purpose and dries slightly flexible.

Zac,

I tie my most of my ep minnows to have a flat profile like a shad or a bluegill. I use super glue on the back of the eyes and then squeeze them together on the fly either at the hook shank or slightly above. this helps to flatten out the head of the fly and give it the wide flat profile I want. I haven't had but a couple eyes come off, even on the tiny ones that I use for crappies that may catch 100 or more fish in the course of the day.
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

I like Goop as well; seems to be pretty durable. The flies probably aren't as effective without eyes but I've caught plenty of fish on them, at least until I can get them a new set of peepers.

Regards,
    Scott

Sounds like I'll have to see how this stuff does, and give the Goop a look as well.
    I tied up a half dozen or so in a size 10 tonight to use for bluegills. (But bluegills don't like minnows, so I don't know what I'll use 'em for! )
    Got a few in a size 4 and plan on some bigguns in 1 or 1/0 before too long. They are a breeze to tie and they look like they're gonna work alright. I may have to send a few south to see how durable they are...

Thanks guys! I knew I could count on you.

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Amazing Goop - Plumbing contact adhesive & sealant can be bought at Wal-Mart.

Instead of adding my eyes directly onto the "hair", I cut teardrop shaped mylar (potato chip bags) cheeks and tie them in like junglecock nails.
    You can glue eyes directly onto the mylar, or just "harvest" eye shapes off the bags
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread