+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your current Mac or PC? Would you recommend it to others?

Blog Entries

Also using a Satellite laptop. It is 2 or 3 years old, and runs like a champion. I really like it and will consider another if it ever decides to quit working. Which likely happen this evening since I just bragged on it a little bit.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

MacBook
    here and I would recommend it to anyone. No spam,
    viruses
    ' and on and on

I use 4 computers on a regular basis, 3 are PCs (an eMachines desktop and a custom build as well as an HP Laptop) and one is a new Mac. All four to pretty well most of the time, though the custom job has occasional brain farts, especially while communicating (or not) with its wired optical mouse, and occasionally eats up its entire RAM pool. The eMachines is a family computer, and while it isn't the fastest, prettiest, or most user-friendly, like a family car, it's been efficient and dependable...for over 6 years. The Mac is used for high-end graphics work and for the most part does really well, but it has a lot of rough edges and is not very customizable at all. Also occasionally locks up. Aside from those minor hangups, though, the user experience is nice within the range of what you like about its setup. If you don't like part of it though, the OS isn't terribly accommodating. Last but not least, I've got a 7 year old HP laptop that had a one time RAM upgrade from 512MB to 2GB. Eventually I switched from XP Pro to Ubuntu, mostly just to see how I'd like it. I do, and aside from a few games that are no longer compatible, I've been highly pleased. Overall, I've been 100% satisfied with the performance of this HP and have nothing bad to say about it at all, except that while the first RAM card is easy to access (under its own removable panel), the second was a real bear to get to, requiring removal of the hinge cover, the base cover, keyboard, and another separate panel.

Really, I've seen a lot of the Mac vs. PC debate and really I'm not sure I'd consider them competing products in anything other than a marketing point of view. If people would learn about what they want from a product before they buy, each one is clearly more suited for a specific type of user. There's also this notion that Macs are somehow "better at graphics" than a PC, but again, anyone who knows computers understands that RAM is RAM, and 2GB is 2GB, and 2.3 GHz is 2.3GHz regardless of what logo is on the front of the case. Really, its much more a matter of interface and handling that creates a user experience, and different people will 'click' with different systems. For me, I like to tweak my own experience as I learn the system, and I feel that Windows, moreso than Mac OS and even Linux, allows me to do this. Linus would reign supreme if I knew more about coding, but while it offers more options up front, once you choose a distro, your biggest choice is made. Macs, to me, offered me the least opportunity to suit the system to me, instead seeming to compromise by offering a system that was mostly agreeable to most people.

This can also be seen in the smartphone arena, with the iPhone an extremely popular device, despite its flaws, because of the 'cool' effect, the winning form factor, and an OS that is agreeable and easily understandable to just about everyone. It has limitations, but most aren't felt by most users, and even among the ones that notice, most arent severe enough limitations to warrant leaving behind the iPhone. For those that want the most flexibility, though, Android is the answer. Not always the most intuitive, but far more flexible (and arguably powerful) for the user that wants more control over their experience.

Just my two cents. I'm sure everyone has their own opinion.

I'm a sucker for Sony Vaio having never had issues with the three I've had ( and still awaken the older two just for fun). I hesitate a recommendation kinda like also for pizza. MY tastes may vary with YOUR tastes . I also have a 10.5" Acer bedside and use it as a backup for all my business files. Traded some AX points for a MacBook for my wife and she LOVES it. I ,however, have no clue as to how to use it.

Mark

My last three desktop purchases have been Dells and they have all worked just fine and, IMHO, representing excellent value for the money. I use an Aspire One netbook when traveling. It is a pretty good product for the price. I end up having to do hunt and peck typing on the compact keyboard, but way prefer that over using the tiny keyboard on a smart phone.

The one I use is a Gateway laptop. Got it on ebay for a song with a 3 year Square trade warranty. 2 1/2 years later it quit charging. Called square trade. They sent a box by ups, I put it in the box with their shipping label and 4 weeks later I got it back with a new mother board installed. They paid for shipping both ways and all the parts and labor was covered. Since Gateway is out of business now I can't recommend their computers but I will always give a two thumbs up for the Square Trade Warranty Company.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I have an H-P Desktop. I'll never buy another H-P product. I like the idea of a notebook and would like it if you could plug it into a full size LCD and a full size keyboard.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    I have an H-P Desktop. I'll never buy another H-P product. I like the idea of a notebook and would like it if you could plug it into a full size LCD and a full size keyboard.
    Hi Lotech, you can do exactly that with a mac book, even wirelesley if you have it set up that way. It is one of the reasons I am thinking of upgrading to one.
    All the best.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
    Hi Lotech, you can do exactly that with a mac book, even wirelesley if you have it set up that way. It is one of the reasons I am thinking of upgrading to one.
    All the best.
    Mike
    You can do the same with PCs as well. I love the flexibility of a notebook. In recent years they have really ramped up notebooks capabilities.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

At the house a one year old Compaq Presario PC, runs like a top.
    On the road, whatever the hotels business center has in it.
    On the Bike and on the Water, don't even carry a cell phone anymore.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread