+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Photography Tips, Tricks and Techniques

Nice picture Cold.

Can't go wrong with shots of dogs.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Another day on the river. Can't fish but I can't stay away.

"The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Normand Guest

neat camera trick

Lightbulb Still find it intriguing ...

... the digital camera / computer software thing.

Early this morning I shot some pix of elk out back of the house. The camera is a Canon Rebel Xsi EOS 450. The pix were taken hand held in very low light conditions at full telephoto ( 250mm ).

The image when first transferred to "My Pictures" on the PC, using an Adobe program, looked like this :

After applying "Auto Fix", it looked like this :

The "fixed" image is not all that great, but considering the conditions, it turned out better than I expected.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    neat camera trick

Cool trick! Certainly a lot less expensive than an Arca Swiss ball head for those 'in a pinch" moments when you want smooth panning.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Here product I set my brother up with. http://www.eye.fi/how-it-works/basics It is a great way to download your pictures to your computer without having to remove your memory card or use a wired connection. It's and SD card with built in WIFI. My brother loves it.
    Last edited by TyroneFly; 02-23-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... the digital camera / computer software thing.

Early this morning I shot some pix of elk out back of the house. The camera is a Canon Rebel Xsi EOS 450. The pix were taken hand held in very low light conditions at full telephoto ( 250mm ).

The "fixed" image is not all that great, but considering the conditions, it turned out better than I expected.

John
    John, I'm glad you were satisfied with your results this time, and that IS a very nice shot, but if you'd like to improve upon it, next time, I have a few small suggestions that may help.

1) Don't hand-hold. Whether you decide to use a tripod, or simply find a flat surface, immobilizing your camera will enable you to shoot at the slow shutter speeds essential for low-light.

2) High ISO. While you don't want to crank it too high, the noise (multi-colored 'dust' most noticeable in dark areas) in your auto-fixed image is highly visible, about what I'd expect from your Rebel sensor cranked up into the 3200+ neighborhood (if it gets that high). I try not to shoot with my D80 higher than ISO 800. This goes hand in hand with #1 because when you immobilize the camera, you can use a slower shutter, which, by extension, also allows you to lower the ISO and improve overall image quality.

Shooting that image at 250mm, immobilized, with ISO set at 800 or 1600...with a sensible aperture somewhere around 5.6, I'm thinking that you'd have no problems shooting even as slow as 1/60 or 1/30. It might still give you a very dark image, but depending on what software you're using, shoot in RAW and bump the EV in post-processing.

Lightbulb Thanks for the tips, Cold ...

... but I didn't want to lose the opportunity for some pix by going in to get the tripod. Those elk move in and out of cover quite quickly so it was more a matter of getting something than getting nothing.

Speaking of cold, the Rebel did okay this afternoon at 8F with windchill down to -7F. I guess the trick is getting out of the car and getting it done quickly.

John

P.S. I haven't done much photography the past few years, other than to provide visuals for my fishing reports. Thinking I will be doing more this year. Got a lot to brush up on, including how to best use the Canon in different situations and for different effects.

My 2 best tricks:

1) Use a tripod;
    2) Always have a camera on you! I keep a waterproof in the vest, a "better" digital in the kit bag and the DSLR in a pellican case on the beach oo strapped to the boat.

Some photo opportuities don't hang around too long!
    Christopher Chin

Lightbulb When taking early morning pix ...

... of elk in the back yard when it is snowing, don't forget the "flash off" setting, if you have one.

Then again, the snow does make for a neat effect.

John

+ Reply to Thread