+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They're called hammerheads for a reason

Default They're called hammerheads for a reason

http://saltyshores.com/wordpress/201...the-push-pole/

Makes you think twice about wading a bonefish flat.

Regards,
    Scott

I've been on a flat, in a skiff, when a shark attacked a bonefish my buddy was playing. That intense weaving as the shark locates its prey is awesome in the true sense of the word. It wasn't a hammerhead but is was about 6' long and left the front half of a nice bonefish lying in about 8" of water. I remember a line of Jim Harrison's, paraphrased perhaps, "The shark headed first for the tail end, where all the flavor resides." Beware the food chain!

Great video!
    I spend a little time on the mountain, I spend a little time on the hill...

Ya see that's why I fish the Rocky River in Ohio.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

YIKES!!!

I hear ya LEHB! And being in Pa., I'm way too close to the ocean, for my money!!! I just hope the sharks don't chase the shad up the Susquehanna River! Do we have Bull sharks? LOL!! The only thing I like about salt water is the taffy! LOL!

Best regards, Dave S.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fishdog54 View Post
    YIKES!!!

I hear ya LEHB! And being in Pa., I'm way too close to the ocean, for my money!!! I just hope the sharks don't chase the shad up the Susquehanna River! Do we have Bull sharks? LOL!! The only thing I like about salt water is the taffy! LOL!

Best regards, Dave S.
    I will fire off a war--ning rocket when the sharks go by. Of course if the sharks don't get ya the rocket probably will. Anyway what did I tell ya about wadin in the Sussy? you just don't know what comes floatin upstream from the capital.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Years back teaching SCUBA we had about a 14 ft hammerhead swim over us and circle a few times. Needless to say the students were impressed! That is a heck of a cool video--he thought the push pole was a shishkabob skewer and he was looking for the bobs!
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Wicked! They are an amazing creature. Thanks for the video link.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

We were down in Long Island Ba. last November & we were out on the ocean flats & the sharks were all over the bones when we hooked them. You just had to lower your rod & release the drag so the bone could run , The shark would give up the chase quickly as they couldn't catch the bones & wouldn't try hard if they thought the fish was healthy. After a while more & more sharks came in & we were just feeding them. They were lemon & black tip sharks & although the guides said they weren't usually aggressive they were getting pretty hairy & aggressive. I've been going down there for 5 years & this is the first time the guides wouldn't let us in the water. One of my buddies was in another boat elsewhere & saw a huge ( he said the dorsal fin was 3-4ft high & guessed the animal to be at least 15' long.) & the guide backed up his story,,,,.hammerhead chasing & catching a large Ray. Needless to say we only waded the inner flats after that & there we saw some fairly large cuda cruising around But they stayed away from us...

Neil

If it had been me on that poling platform I would have had to change my drawers. Wow! Great video.

+ Reply to Thread