+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpin' reel

Default Carpin' reel

I was just wondering what reel do you carp fly anglers prefer to use? I got an Okuma Magnitude and a Pflueger medalist pro but I'm thinking about upgrading later on.
    Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

NewTyer 1 Guest

I have an older SA reel that I bought many years ago. I can't remember the model but, basic click and pawl and sturdy.

On the Carp Anglers Group forums...the fly anglers there seem to really like the Lamson reels. Any will do, including their most affordable offering, the Konic series.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

A konic is an awesome reel, I have a magnitude that I absolutely love to death for carpin' also fish with a pfleuger president that i like a lot but cannot find extra spools for it. I am also looking at getting three or four of the reels from Allen Fly company. I got to handle and play with one not too long ago and for the price tag they are super nice reels. Here is a link to the Allen reel http://allenflyfishing.myshopify.com/products/alpha-reel The reel I got to play with was the 7/8 and it was flawless, really smooth drag and you could really crank it down tight.

Steve

Second on the Allen Reels. I have a prototype trout 5/7 that is unbelievably nice. I'll snap a few pics and upload them. stand by.....

Lamson Velocity 3. Is the reel I use the most but any reel with a good drag should work. Make sure you have good amount of backing because large carp will find and use it.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Ive got a 3.5 Lamson Konic that I love to death. Its my heavy reel that I have used on King Salmon and its got a heck of a drag. And its resonably priced as well. My main rod is a 9' 5 wt green stix (made in MI) and an orvis mid arbor that does well on 10 lbs fish, including average size carp.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    A konic is an awesome reel, I have a magnitude that I absolutely love to death for carpin' also fish with a pfleuger president that i like a lot but cannot find extra spools for it. I am also looking at getting three or four of the reels from Allen Fly company. I got to handle and play with one not too long ago and for the price tag they are super nice reels. Here is a link to the Allen reel http://allenflyfishing.myshopify.com/products/alpha-reel The reel I got to play with was the 7/8 and it was flawless, really smooth drag and you could really crank it down tight.

Steve
    WOW!!!! What a beauty and the price is not bad at all, thanks guys. It's not that I don't love my Okuma Magnitude but it has (imo) a design flaw which is the drag star, the gap between the reel and the star is a bit too much so the line tends to get caught up in there.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Martin McFly; 02-25-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    I believe I can fly fish

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

I like light and cork/drawbar reels so over the years found that the Bauer reels are superb. The M series with the M3 being my choice is a great series and you can find them or thier super light model for sale on Ebay at times quite reasonable.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread