Default Maryland may ban felt soles--

According to the article--March 21, 2011
    Article here
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41692545...ent/?gt1=43001

George

Welcome to the Club!!!
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Having only a rudimentary knowledge of rock snot, what about other means of spreading it, canoes, yaks, etc.? Are felt soles the only culprit in this fight? I am alway skeptical of one answer to an issue like this. You know how old men are.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Not "may"; the ban goes in to effect March 21:
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...p?story_id=120

Uncle Jesse, no felt soles aren't the only way they're spread. They can latch on to boot laces, gravel guards, bird feet, lots of ways; felt soles are pretty easy to remove from the equation, at little cost (except to anglers). An example of "low hanging fruit".

Regards,
    Scott

Sound more like an easy target that will make it look like the state is doing something, while accomplishing little and it will not create much of a backlash from the small number of wading fishermen wearing felt soles. Besides, everyone know flyfishing is a rich man's sport.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Sound more like an easy target that will make it look like the state is doing something, while accomplishing little and it will not create much of a backlash from the small number of wading fishermen wearing felt soles. Besides, everyone know flyfishing is a rich man's sport.
    I agree. I think it is a knee jerk reaction to make it look like something is being done. Putting restrictions on fishermen is cheap and easy but rarely accomplishes anything.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    I agree. I think it is a knee jerk reaction to make it look like something is being done. Putting restrictions on fishermen is cheap and easy but rarely accomplishes anything.
    I also agree.

Local newspaper(Cumberland times) has has a few letters to the editor in the outdoors section the last couple of weeks since the people found out about the ban. Lots of anglers threatening to buy WV and PA fishing licenses and fish there instead of MD. Some people are saying that there are going to be more broken legs, ankles, concusions, etc since you can't wear felt soles. I haven't heard yet what the fine will be for wearing felt.

Rodney

I just bought a good deal at Cabela's. Waist high breathable waders with stocking feet. Add the felt sole wading boots with 28 screw in cleats, and at a reduced price, and I'm happy. I'm looking forward to using the pair with anxious anticipation. I know that the felt soles will be outlawed soon, but I figure I can strip the felt off when I need to, and add maybe Korkers Lugged Soles for a lesser price. I plan on bleaching and rinsing my felts every time I use them. So please don't blame me for spreading kooties. Seems too sad to me that we have to go to these extreme lengths, but I'll do what I have to do.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

ScottP,

The site does say "proposed", and there's still a comment period through Feb. 28th. Don't give up yet! I can be an optimist - when I have to!

Best regards, Dave S.

+ Reply to Thread