+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Identifying Bamboo Rod

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    The question came to mind because Tonkin Cane comes from China and most, if not all, of eastern China was under Japanese occupation for several years prior to 1943. I do not know how much trade was going on with Japan in the years just prior to Pearl Harbor. Political relations were strained to say the least.

There would have had to be either a substantial order just prior to trade relations going to pot or another source for cane.
    The Chinese trade embargo did not go into effect until 1950.
    All of the major manufacturers of bamboo rods such as Heddon, Wright & McGill Granger, Orvis, Leonard, et al, were able to obtain the bamboo necessary to build their rods until that time. Most of these had huge stockplies of raw bamboo to continue their production or somehow went around the embargo.

I would say you can rest assured the bamboo used for this rod in 1943 was Tonkin. Maybe not the best quality, or maybe it was.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

I was aware of the Chinese trade embargo, but prior to the bombing of Pearl Harbor, much of eastern China was occupied by Japanese invaders. After the first retaliatory bombing mission over Japan, the planes mostly crash landed in China where they had to avoid Japanese soldiers to get out and get back. With waters of the Pacific infested with Japanese subs and the Pacific generally not being a very nice place to be, I was figuring there was probably not much shipping going on during that time, if any at all.

I could be so far off base it isn't funny but I was thinking there was not much shipping traffic for at least 2 or 3 years prior to 1943 up until VJ Day. Even then, it would have taken a while to get things moving again.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Default Mystery Solved? Clarified at least...

I got a chance to actually see and photograph the rod today and have attached a couple of photos. As it turns out it is not a "Crawford" rod; read on.

The rod is actually a Montague Clipper, which I believe, was a trade rod manufactured for Montgomery Wards (any help confirming this would be appreciated). The rod has a blue metal down locking reel seat; measures nine feet and has three pieces. It is in very good shape for its age and doesn't show too much wear, and the wrappings are all solid and tight. It probably has value only as a keepsake.

The "Crawford" confusion comes from the rod case; which is actually a WWII vintage canvas cover for a M8 machine gun barrel. It just happens to fit the rod perfectly, but has nothing to do with fly fishing. The cover is marked COVER, SPARE BARREL, M8; CRAWFORD MFG. CO. INC; 1943. End of story......not quite.

While I was studying the rod and taking pictures my friend continued to rummage through his garage and found another bamboo fly rod that he didn't know he had. This was a three piece rod of about 8 1/2 - 9 feet with a spare tip. The rod is marked L & C IMPERIAL (or possibly L & CP IMPERIAL) #1-203. It also has a patent number on the down locking reel seat ring. The reel seat appears to be made of plastic. This rod saw considerably more use than the Montague.

Any thoughts about what this rod may be? I couldn't find anything searching around.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

You have a pretty good idea about this rod. Yours is in much better shape than most that I have seen. The machine gun barrel sock is pretty common, too. Those socks hit the surplus market after WWII by the thousands and were dirt cheap protection for those rods. Besides that, like you said, they were a perfect fit!

Fish it and have fun with it. That's what it was made for.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

The Lyon & Coulson "Imperial" Model I-203 is a 9' 3/2 5 3/4 oz. Heddon built rod, equivalent to their Model 17 Black Beauty.
    A real hoss of a rod. Nice find!

The Montague Clipper appears to be in very good condition with a great intact and clear decal.
    This was a mid to lower grade Montague standard model.
    It may have been sold through Montgomery Ward, I really don't know.
    Never knew these were built with the sky blue plastic reel seat insert.
    That insert is more closely associated with the Montague Sunbeam.
    Again a good find!
    Last edited by bobbyg; 02-16-2011 at 07:03 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    And that there is the understatement of the day...LOL
    Maodiver,
    Your signature has begged another question. Who says what is evil and what is not if there is no absolute benchmark?
    Last edited by Backcastwards; 02-17-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Backcastwards View Post
    Maodiver,
    Your signature has begged another question. Who says what is evil and what is not if there is no absolute benchmark?
    It must be the same person who defines good, or the "absolute benchmark"
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by maodiver View Post
    It must be the same person who defines good, or the "absolute benchmark"
    Then there is still hope that He is able and willing, but waiting.

+ Reply to Thread