+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carp el tunnel

Default carp el tunnel

grass carp were inside of a huge 20'high culvert under the highway eating ...of course who can resist the Mighty Mighty Speed Dart? not even a plant eater can...like they say, "its all in the presentation" ...it helps to have a theater dumping last nights popcorn in the canal, what can I say?...

AWESOME!!! I wish it would soften up around here so I could get a fly in the water but as of yet it's a bit frozen.... time will heal all though.

Steve

Alright, so I looked up the Mighty Mighty Speed Dart. Liked the pics, but can you post a couple better ones? I'm thinkin shad flies.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

You could say they are a lot of fun. I have picked up a couple of those over 7 lbs., one on a 3 wt., that one looked like it might go 10 to 12 lb. did you happen to guessestimate the weight? They are a heck of a surprise when you are expecting a good bream and get one of those instead.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

sorry to say but what you see is what you get...there is no better ones...they are all just a pinch of kippertail on an SC 15 gamahatsu hook with oversized lead eyes...on the super fancy ones I put 3 strands of flash in the pinch of hair...the simplicity is the glory...it can/will catch about everything that swims so far...I have hammered tarpon, bones, snook, jacks, snapper, redfish, permit, trout, exotics, and the Everglades with a simple white or yellow speed dart on a # 1 hook...to be noted- the position of the hair in a 65 degree angle to the hook is to act as a weedguard as well as provide unparalled sink rate...nothing is faster

never mind...found this pic from some dude. (thanks) =-?
    http://www.flyhonkey.com/showthread.php?t=758

D'oh...again my past haunts me...sorry, I thought those were the pictures you already looked at...thats the souped up version there son in all their glory lol

nah, I saw the ones hangin' outa fishies mouths...din't check enough links. do you paint your own eyes?

I would if I knew where to get paint...I use the sucky ones from the local flyshop...many have dings and chips plus the black dots tend to be off center or oval and asymetrical but either way they dont hold up long...lead is soft and will chip no matter what as the bounce they bottom on coral or bankshots off the causeway bridge etc...if I can get 2-3hrs of life from a speed dart then I am good with that...most get the hair torn out by fish and the painted eyes dont seem to matter except to me

I usually hold the eyes in a comb, and use nail polish or Testor's model paint, then go over with clear nail polish (some use epoxy). I have heard of people using powder paint, like the commercial manuf. do, but have not tried it.

+ Reply to Thread