+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UV cure Epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
    I finally tried some UV Cure Epoxy from Wahoo International Inc. tonight and wow....I like it.
    Comes in a medium and thin and I really like the way it dries so fast compared to 5 min epoxy.
    Got the Light from Auto Zone for $15. + tax and it works really fast.

The light is a UV Leak Detection Kit,.....comes with some Yellow shaded Safety glasses.
    Anyone tried this yet?......Zerovoc is the medium stuff.
    Solarez.com
    Is this the light?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=1739362
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Yes Sir Thats it and it works really well ....if it has tacky places after you use the light just put some sally hensons hard as nails on the tacky spots and it dries it the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Erie High Ball View Post
    Jeffro,

I love the stuff. I use Loons Knot Sense and tied up some minnow patterns. It helps shape the head but I use it to glue the eyes. My next project will be using it for Copper Johns.

I had some trouble with the mini UV light I got from Loon and bought another light on someone recommendation from our board. So I will pass it on again.

www.ledwholesalers.com I bought the light off of e-bay from this company for I think $15 or $20 delivered to my door. Took 2 days to get to my house and couldn't be more pleased. This light is bomb proof and curs the glue in an instant. If the light is right you can see it smoke (probably just vapor though).

What flies are you using it for?

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...d&productId=75 <-----------this is my light.
    Howdy lake Erie High Ball,
    You asked what I was Tying with it....I used it on some realistic Shrimp and they are so clear it's almost as clear as Glass.
    I even used 1 peacock herl to look like the Vein runnin down the center of their backs.

I really like the UV stuff better than the 5 min epoxy

Blog Entries

A little trick is to wipe the cured glue with a little vinegar on a rag. It will remove the haze and the "sticky" feel...

Thanks hap....I'll be sure to try it out.....I always have vinegar on hand for when I eat spinach.

Use denatured alcohol to wipe tacky stuff after using UV curing lamp then Hard as Nail since it will make a better looking fly and more durable.

Liquid Fusion is a good replacement for epoxy-type head coatings like those used on the Thunder Creek series of streamers. It's very easy to use, dries quickly, and thins with water. I bought mine mailorder from A. C. Moore but now my local fly shop carries it. It's also in the Feathercraft catalog.

Here's a Zonker I tied (butchered) last night. I coated the body with the brush-on Clear Cure Goo:
    Last edited by FishnDave; 02-16-2011 at 05:49 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I've used the Loon uv glue to build up tarpon fly heads ---i put a "worm" on the top and bottom cure it and repeat as necessary to accept the stick on eyes--- then put a quick layer of thread for color --stick on the eyes and coat over the whole head---it builds a fast easy flat sided head. I'll coat with hard as nails after wiping the uv glue with alcohol.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Here's another couple patterns I did last night, using Clear Cure Goo:
    A #10 Zonker. I built up the underbody shape with the CCG before tying on teh mylar. It was a pearl mylar, and when I got done making it and adding the CCG over the eyes and outside of the body, I noticed the body had become translucent. How cool is that?

And this is a minnow pattern I threw together using corsair tubing and coated with CCG. For size comparison, the hook is a Gamakatsu SC15 size 2:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread