+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I Don't Ice Fish!

Default Why I Don't Ice Fish!

This past weekend in Minnesota there was a Ice Fishing Contest in Alexandra MN, on Lake Agnes. Over 2,000 folks slapped down their $35.00 for this Ice Fishing Contest.....Not a singe fish was caught!

During the winter fish metabolism slows down, and they conserve their energy, waiting for Spring...

That is why I don't ice fish, I rather stay indoors and wait for the lakes and streams to melt and go fly fishing when the ice is gone and the fish are hungry. ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

THAT is awesome!!! Its unusual to have a tournament with so many, but NO fish caught!

Fish do slow down during the winter, but its amazing just how active they really are...even under thick ice. Watch them on an undewater camera sometime. Weather patterns still have an affect on the fish....some times they'll bite aggressively, other days they won't.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Normand Guest

this is why i dont

and you thought you favorite stream was crowded! ha!

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McGarthwaite View Post
    ....Not a singe fish was caught!....
    I wonder how much of the that $70,000.00 was paid to the owner of the city pools they were fishing on?

As for norm's picture, I have to wonder what thousands of holes drilled that close together do to the integrity of the ice? a few thousand people could mean a half million pounds easy of human flesh on on top of that? Um...no thank you, I'll get my frozen fish from Mrs. Paul.

I believe Norms photos were taken in Japan. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McGarthwaite View Post
    This past weekend in Minnesota there was a Ice Fishing Contest in Alexandra MN, on Lake Agnes. Over 2,000 folks slapped down their $35.00 for this Ice Fishing Contest.....Not a singe fish was caught!

During the winter fish metabolism slows down, and they conserve their energy, waiting for Spring...

That is why I don't ice fish, I rather stay indoors and wait for the lakes and streams to melt and go fly fishing when the ice is gone and the fish are hungry. ~Parnelli
    That's a bad day of fishing for sure. I understand your point, Parnelli, but I regularly catch fish through the ice. Not my favorite way to fish, but it kills some long winter days. Fly fishing for trout will always be my passion.
    The Best,
    Bruce

Blog Entries

And this is why I do.

14 1/2" - I put her back so I can catch her on the 3 weight. Can't catch a 16 if you eat her at 14..
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

HideHunter, nice fish! I caught the ice fishing bug a little last year, it got me GOOD this winter.
    Don't tell these fish they weren't supposed to eat much...

That was half of the day's catch. The two other guys took their fish home before we got a picture.
    I've really gotten into tying jigs this fall/winter, and have been playing with stuff that's specifically for ice fishing.
    It beats the heck outta sitting at home all winter when I can't fly fish!!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Normand Guest

top one is Korea, bottom one is Brainard, Minn. Really!

Blog Entries

Nice batch of specks Quivira.. I'm wih you. I ain't no flyfishing "snob". I'll fish for anything that pulls back with about anything they'll pull back on.

Two things I've found to be true.. you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning..

and ..

If you want to fish 200 days a year in Iowa, you can't do it all with the flyrod.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

+ Reply to Thread