+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An Apology

Default An Apology

I recently received a ?dressing down? in a PM about one of my remarks in a message when I made a remark about the intelligence of draftees in 1969. It was not undeserved. Looking back my opinion primarily was cause by my frequent interaction with only 3 drafted trainees and a red headed kid from the MS Delta who was a member of the Army Reserve. I comment on the color of his hair, less someone jump to conclusions and I be considered a bigot. I apologized to the offended party and offer my apology to anyone else who may have been offended. Thinking back I remember about half the company C-1-2, Ft. Polk, LA seemed to be from Iowa and were a good bunch of young men and it seemed all of them were draftees.
    The writer made comments about protecting my backside during the Tet Offensive. During the Tet Offensive I was a college kid with a semester of my toughest classes to graduate on time and find a job to support my young bride. The Viet Nam war was never about protecting the USA or US citizens, but that's another discussion.
    I am not trying to start an argument; if this is out of line please delete.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

The U.S. Government in 1998 awarded a "Cold War Medal" to all who served in the military from 1948 to 1990. Did not matter whether they served in the as a Regular, Reservist, or National Guard. They all served, to protect our Nation's Constitution, and Defend the U.S. Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. I served with many good men and women, who gave the ultimate sacrifice for people they did not know. The point is "They All Served!", protecting the country that they loved!

"Open Mouth, Insert Foot!"
    "To Err, Is To Be Human!"
    "Been There, Done That!"

I have been there and done all of the above... including forgetting to inserting foot in mouth.

SFC Steven H. McGarthwaite
    U.S. Army, Retired 1968-1995
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread