+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV cure Epoxy

Default UV cure Epoxy

I finally tried some UV Cure Epoxy from Wahoo International Inc. tonight and wow....I like it.
    Comes in a medium and thin and I really like the way it dries so fast compared to 5 min epoxy.
    Got the Light from Auto Zone for $15. + tax and it works really fast.

The light is a UV Leak Detection Kit,.....comes with some Yellow shaded Safety glasses.
    Anyone tried this yet?......Zerovoc is the medium stuff.
    Solarez.com
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

Hi jeffro,

Recently Gretchen & I started using Clear Cure Glue and like most of the UV producs, it does a good job. You are right, it really dries fast once the UV light hits the glue. It sure beats working with epoxy. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty
    www.btsflyfishing.com

Blog Entries

Got bit right on the end of my typing finger by a dog a couple weeks ago and the nail is coming off. I decided a little UV Knot Sense would keep the nail there a little longer. So I spread a little glue about and hit it with the light.

It was instantaneous... My response that is.

That stuff gets HOT!

I been using CCG all winrter with great results. But if using on balsa wood bodies there is still no subitute for epoxy as I found 2 part epoxy is much durable for abuse like poppers get from fishing.

Hap,

Thanks for the morning chuckle. I use super glue as a finish for custom pens and when applied with a paper towel it also gets VERY hot very fast. Usually by the time my brain realizes how hot it's gotten, the glue has stuck the paper towel to my finger tip and I can't get it off. I've figured out a solution but the first few time it really gets your attention.

Take care of that finger, you may need it for tying flies.

Jim

Blog Entries

Yep, our annual tying contest ends this Saturday and I have not tied anything yet for the contest... And I am real serious about doing these right... Especially since my son has beaten me in the last two. He just turned 17 and having everyone else tell him how much better he is than me is a little tough to take!

I also do a lot on the lathe, including turning lots of mammoth and fossil walrus ivory...
    art

Jeffro,

I love the stuff. I use Loons Knot Sense and tied up some minnow patterns. It helps shape the head but I use it to glue the eyes. My next project will be using it for Copper Johns.

I had some trouble with the mini UV light I got from Loon and bought another light on someone recommendation from our board. So I will pass it on again.

www.ledwholesalers.com I bought the light off of e-bay from this company for I think $15 or $20 delivered to my door. Took 2 days to get to my house and couldn't be more pleased. This light is bomb proof and curs the glue in an instant. If the light is right you can see it smoke (probably just vapor though).

What flies are you using it for?

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...d&productId=75 <-----------this is my light.
    Last edited by Lake Erie High Ball; 02-14-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: adding info
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Hi hap,

Gretchen & I started our Valentine's Day off with a laugh after reading your comment about the HOT UV glue. Thanks for the heads UP!

James Smith - How do you get crazy glue off your finger? We just let it wear off. Do you have a trick?

www.btsflyfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Al Beatty View Post
    Hi hap,

- How do you get crazy glue off your finger? We just let it wear off. Do you have a trick?

www.btsflyfishing.com
    Acetone (it's a component of nail polish remover) dissolves it well. But I (like you) seldom bother. It comes off soon enough. I like to dispense CA glue with a wash bottle made with Teflon tubing. Then you seldom get it on your fingers in the first place:
    ===> ...ca glue dispensing <====

Finally, I like the UV glues a lot too. As a boat builder I use epoxy a lot. I'm not sure what a precise definition of "epoxy" is, but I don't think it includes the UV cured glues. Epoxy can only be cured by mixing in a chemical hardener. UV glues are super convenient, but not as strong as real epoxies.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 02-14-2011 at 04:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
    Finally, I like the UV glues a lot too. As a boat builder I use epoxy a lot. I'm not sure what a precise definition of "epoxy" is, but I don't think it includes the UV cured glues. Epoxy can only be cured by mixing in a chemical hardener. UV glues are super convenient, but not as strong as real epoxies.
    You are correct in that they are not all epoxies, but they can be. Most are acrylic glues. The technical definition of epoxy includes the way an oxygen atom links with two other atoms in a process producing "epoxide rings" which in turn link... "Two part" and "chemical hardener" are not part of the definition and many do not fit that description... They have found lots of ways to kick epoxies off and oxygen is the constant...

I spent several years researching epoxy as a finish and know far more about it then I really want at this point!
    art

+ Reply to Thread