+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help selecting a new Kodak Brownie

Default Help selecting a new Kodak Brownie

This is a new camera from Kodak. 12.1 MP, the technical into says fixed focus, no face recognition but then it has this info. Its a relatively cheap camera, which I need it to be, it's also waterproof to 10 ft. I am not a demanding photographer but want a relatively sharp photo usually at relative close range with an occasional shot of the river, etc. Should I avoid this due to the fixed focus or does the Smart Capture take care of that?

Become a better photographer with a smarter camera. Smart Capture feature automatically identifies the scene and adjusts camera settings for a great picture in just about any environment.
    • Intelligent scene detection?analyzes the scene to give you better pictures under various conditions
    • Intelligent capture control?automatically sets camera settings for clear, sharp pictures even in low light and challenging situations
    • Intelligent image processing?reduces noise and clears up dark shadows for vibrant, crisp details and true-to-life colors
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

the best thing is to find a couple reviews. what's the model number?
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

It may not be on the market yet, it's a brand new model but it's Kodak EasyShare Sport C123

I checked it out on Kodak's site and you are correct, it is not available yet. They say 15 March. Good = $80 list price so they should be about $70 or so. Bad = Fixed focus. It will be OK for the camera in your vest when out fishing, but you won't be able to take a picture of the fly with which you caught the fish. I will be looking at it when it show up in Wally World. I ruin cameras and cell phones in my kayak with remarkable regularity. (Cell phone problem solved with a Verizon G'zone water resistant model).
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

The fixed focus was what was bugging me. I need to get something I can get wet and bounce around in a briefcase while traveling. Other than getting upside down in the river once I have been pretty easy on that kind of stuff. While I hope my tube and I can stay shiny side up I do like stuff that you can get wet.

Cold Guest

That 'fixed focus' bit is what's concerning me. If they mean fixed focal length, that's fine. A little less versatile, but in a tradeoff for generally superior image quality and a lower price point. If they mean the focus distance is fixed, then, in my opinion, it's all but useless, and you'd be much, much better off with nearly any other camera.

Normand Guest

For a few bucks more look at the fuji waterproof camera

Two things. With a 12megapixel you can photo your fly from 10' away and blow it up and crop it for a close up. I have a Pentex Optio with zoom, close up, under water, and vidio. Great camera.
    There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
    R.Y.

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by desertman View Post
    Two things. With a 12megapixel you can photo your fly from 10' away and blow it up and crop it for a close up. I have a Pentex Optio with zoom, close up, under water, and vidio. Great camera.
    Have you ever tried that?

Normand Guest

and if you have tried it, please show us some of your results!

+ Reply to Thread