+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naval Aviation At It's Most Dangerous, w/o Getting Shot At!

Default Naval Aviation At It's Most Dangerous, w/o Getting Shot At!

These videos show the difference between Naval Aviation and any other kind. This is very unnerving, landing with deck pitching 30 feet, at night, low on fuel. The links below are two outstanding videos about F-18 carrier operations aboard the USS Nimitz during weather that causes a severely pitching deck, which you can see in the videos. It's more dangerous than most combat missionsand the tension in the pilots and crew is very apparent.

Part One http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4gGMI8d3vLs

Part Two http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=S0yj70QbBzg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Cold Guest

Wow...that's making me seasick just watching the first few moments...

Blog Entries

There are very few experiences in this life that are better than the feeling of being up on the flight deck during takeoffs and landings (launch & recovery). I loved it.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Last edited by sagefisher; 02-10-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Became anxious watching that thing. Heart rate and breathing increased. If I was that way sitting in this chair, lord only knows how the pilots and crews felt while that operation was taking place.

Incredible videos.

George

Thanks for sharing this!

Maybe one of our humble aviators on this site can chime in with some more real experiences ...
    (Nighthawk? , Steve? , Joe-- I believe was in or is in ground control?)
    Obviously there would be more....

Good stories to help shake the shack shivers and appreciate the little
    shack we have

Be safe

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 02-10-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: to stir the pot
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Of all the things on my bucket list the one that will probably remain is a carrier take off in a fighter jet. Coming to a complete stop from 200+ knots on a moving runway does not appear to me at all. Fly me out in a helicopter please, I have a few hours riding around in those and know you should be able to get it down around the middle of the runway at least. Many one of the Navy vets can tell me if my reasoning is sound. With the bow and stern pitching 30 ft. is there a spot in the center of the ship that is works as a pivot and does not rise significantly?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Uncle Jesse,

When we were leaving the Mediterranean Sea after a nine month deployment, we hit a really bad tropical storm. The bow of the carrier, the USS Independence, was really rocking. The waves were breaking over the bow and then it would rise up and be aimed at the sky, with the stern down deep in the swells. Our berthing compartment was all the way up forward, just under the flight deck. You had to walk very slowly or when the bow dropped, you would actually have the deck drop out from under you and you would hit your head on the overhead (ceiling). This went on for about 3 days.

We were doing double duty up on the flight deck, constantly checking the tie-down chains to make sure they were staying tight, or else an airplane could break free and cause all kinds of havoc on deck.

You are right about the center of the ship staying relatively stable. You could stand there and watch the bow go waaaaay up then come crashing down with the waves breaking over the bow. Talk about a thrill.

The other advantage of weather like that is there were never any lines on the mess decks, you could walk right in and grab a very good meal at anytime.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Here is an aviation example minus the boat... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu2gKJdxlYw Airborne! And a link to Gory, Gory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgsdexkv18&NR=1
    Last edited by billhouk; 02-10-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Added link

nighthawk Guest

A little teaser of what a day at the office used to be like. Crank up the volume. Squeals and screams will tell you what fun they are having:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeBcTV5-5E8

and then there one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1cwycSWq0

I wish I were able to take Mr. William Fitzgerald up on a ride. Miss you Bill R.I.P.

That was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

+ Reply to Thread