+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixed Messages?

Default Mixed Messages?

Now I don't want to be a bee in anyone's bonnet , but am I the only one who sees the irony in this week's articles? In fact, I almost didn't post this because I was afraid someone would take it the wrong way. I find it more than a little humorous that we have both an article lamenting that our father's have become little more than idiots in today's culture and on the other hand we have an article about a father who spends two grand on a 3 and a half foot fly rod for an infant. I realize, without doubt, that it's an artistic expression of a father's love but if one looks at it merely at face value it is quite absurd. Fortunately, I can see both sides of the coin and appreciate that fathers do things like this to express their love for their families and still get a chuckle out of it.

Bill,

I'd agree that $2K on a rod for an infant is more than a little silly (it's a heck of a lot of cash regardless of the recipient), but my comprehension of the essay was that the rod was built as a 'Gift' for a friend. Thereby the only thing spent was sweat equity and the component price. More power to them from where I sit.

Brian

Please go back and read both articles more carefully; You're mistaken on both counts. Cheers, Alec

It is in a very loving way humorous. I lost my little girl. Give them the world along with the right set of values while you can. The important thing is for you to be right beside her teaching her to use it with all of the love in your heart you can come up with.
    Steve

I did read that wrong. I somehow missed that it was a gift. I should probably stop reading articles online without my glasses.

I have a bamboo rod that I built from a blank made everything from raw materials for the rod...may not be a $2000 rod but it now sits till my wee one is old enough to weild it in her little hands....

I hope to try and pass Flyfishing along to all of our childeren...Tying too!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

When I was a kid, my first fly rod was bamboo. Still have most of the pieces
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Exscuse me, if I may. This is a Ron kusse cane rod we are talking about, isn't it? I don't think anything would have been waisted (or out of line) even if the gentleman did pay for the rod. I would think it would be very much so an investment. If my reading memory serves correctly, Mr. Kusse did search his shop for the best of the best to make this special, one of a kind, Ron Kusse cane. I'm sure it will hold it's value and then some. Just my O2, maybe something to ponder...

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Having met Ray and seeing all the pictures of his family and little girl, as well as bamboo fly rods hanging on the walls at his place of employment, there is no doubt in my mind he loves his family, child and fly fishing.
    As far as Deanna's "Dad is a Dork" article -It really hit home, TV advertising has really thrown some nasty punches at fatherhood, in particular, Cingular ads. It's disgusting. They make fathers out to be mindless idiots with no clue about the world.
    Very nice articles Ray and Deanna.
    Pete

Rookie - Thanks for your post. I can't imagine your loss - your words really hit home. God bless you - Alec

+ Reply to Thread