+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep Holes

If there was one fly and one method that worked all the time, that's what everyone would be doing. Fly fishing is about making adjustments, regardless of the style/method. I don't know if that's what it's all about, but that's one aspect. Everyone here has presented a different way to solve the same problem. The reason is they've all found a way that works for them. That's what makes it an interesting game. Good luck on the deep hole!

It's hard to give advice remotely from a computer. What you may consider is to carry a second rod, if it is legal, and rig it for the deep hole. Experiment to find out what works. Throw some weighted smaller stuff, and throw some big ugly stuff too. I'd try throwing some big ugly and stripping line. You just never know what may chase it out of there, particularly if the fish are not seeing a lot of it.

Mike;
    Only one of the replies to you has inferred how you should cast or where you should stand relative to this hole. I think (in addition to weighted flies and split shot), your position relative to the fish and your cast is vital. Last fall I caught a salmon in a Lake Ontario trib that was in a bathtub sized pothole. Weight on the line was important - too light and I didn't get down, too heavy and I snagged before I got to the hole.
    But the important thing was to cast with enough slack in the line to let the fly sink before drag set in. So - you have to either be above the hole somewhat and cast to the lip with a slack/wiggle cast, or be a little below the top of the hole and cast to the lip with a reach cast or tuck cast. And you have to be mindful of any currents between you and the target. Position yourself for the least drag and cast a puddle/slack cast (with a weighted fly), is my suggestion.
    Last edited by Greg H; 02-06-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: grammar/spelling

Thanks for the tips guys... I'm really intrigued in a lot of the answers, and will definitely try them out!

+ Reply to Thread