+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing with a 10-month-old in tow?

Question Fishing with a 10-month-old in tow?

Has anyone taken their tot along with them when fishing? If so, what's the best way to carry them? Chest or back? And how does one keep them 'safe' from hooks, etc? Sunglasses? A good hat?

I am aware that some folks think that anywhere outside the womb is unsafe for their kids, but I'm not one of those folks. I'd like my daughter to have a healthy respect for the world-at-large and I want to introduce her to my favorite things. We have already been canoeing, camping and hiking, but walking a stream with a flyrod is a bit more challenging.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

Dave
    WCCNovice

I fish with an infant all of the time; he just happens to be 48 yrs old. I'd be very leery of wading a stream with a baby on board; that's going to shift your center of gravity just a bit.

Regards,
    Scott

I wouldn't do it. Obvious reason would be safety. Falling, slipping on rocks, hooks flying around. Mosquitos, bees, wasps. Take a stroller, park it on the bank and block the wheels, and keep the baby safe in it with netting over her.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

I tend to agree with jim.^^^ Sure you'll look like the supercool Dad and all,but at what cost?Slipping and landing on the baby would be my biggest concern....I fall enough all on my own.There'll be plenty of time to drag her along fishn at a more appropriate age,or if you must take her fishn,take her to a safer shoreline,like a lakeshore or beach,and save the stream trampin for later.

I started my daughter out in a backpack. Wading small streams, watching every step I took.. she had fun!

Last year when I asked her what she wanted for christmas.. she said "a new 5wt rod"

She turns 27 this year.....

Start them young on a lifetime of fun!

Z

Z and I have the same experiences. My oldest daughter (and other siblings) used to nap in a backpack "seat" during my shift while my wife and I were in grad school. She loved it and so did Dad(:>) I tossed small spinners with my ultra light due to my wife's insistance and I was extremely careful of the conditions where I fished. She, a younger sister and brother all grew up playing along streams, catching animals, floating twig boats. She has a MS in Geology her brother has degrees in Marine Science and in Biology.
    Last edited by Kytroutbum; 02-02-2011 at 03:43 AM.

It's kind of interesting. Two very divergent opinions/experiences. I kind of guessed that I'd get that. I understand the fear of falling/slipping, etc. I'm not thinking of taking her to the Colorado River in Spring, I'm talking about a small stream that is more calm water than riffle and a pretty sandy bottom.

Leaving her in a stroller is not an option, at 10-months she is already starting to walk and sitting in a stroller is a non-starter with her. She loves going for walks with Dad while strapped to my chest in her carrier. We are thinking about getting a backpack for her because she is 18 lbs now and not getting smaller.

I like the idea that my girl will follow her parents into the world of Earth Science and love of the outdoors and want to study it. I also hope to have a fishing buddy in the future.... of course, that's up to her.

Thanks for the answers so far!

WCCNovice

I carried my daughter in a back pack when she was a wee little one hiking,camping and flyfishing. The flyfishing trips were short and close to home and with a couple breaks. She loved it and would get excited when the fish was splashing at my feet. We kept her greased up with sun screen with a wide soft brimed hat(she would not wear sun glasses)
    Camping one fall with her out west it was in the mid 30's most every night and got nice during the day. She slept in her portable crib in snow suite with a hood heavy socks on her hands .I would get up early to go fishing and come back once the sun was well up. Then I would build a fire ,start breakfast and get the sleepy campers up. By the time we got breakfast cleaned up it was warm enough to be on the trail or sight seeing.
    One of the last hiking trips I carried her she she was heavy enough that the carrier would cause her legs to fall asleep after twenty minutes so we had to make play stops more often.

When fly fishing with her I fished from shore or waded to about my ankles roll casting. I never fished carrying her in areas that were not my home waters .

Back 25+ years ago I carried my daughter around the neighborhood in a backpack carrier until her weight exceeded the cushioning ability of the straps. The carriers have improved a lot since then. A backpack with good construction will be easier on both of you. Like most things in life there are risks you will be exposing her to and your self. Knowing my casting abilities I would probably go with a light spinning rod and some plastic jigs. Although I did not take her fishing as a toddler, I let my daughter stand up and fall out of a shopping cart at Walmart. She seemed to me none the worse for the wear afterward, but the point is there are hazards everywhere. After graduating from college she let her boy friend talk her into making a tandem skydive. Be careful, be smart and enjoy every minute together.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WCCNovice View Post
    Leaving her in a stroller is not an option, at 10-months she is already starting to walk and sitting in a stroller is a non-starter with her. She loves going for walks with Dad while strapped to my chest in her carrier. We are thinking about getting a backpack for her because she is 18 lbs now and not getting smaller.
    That must be nice. Mine just turned 6 mos today and she's already 21 lbs.

+ Reply to Thread