+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parachute post color

Default Parachute post color

I'm wondering if anyone notices a difference in effectiveness with different colored parachute posts. If so, what have you found to be best? Should the post match the color of the natural you are imitating? Does it matter?

White seems to be the most common color on parachute flies but there are colors I've seen used that resemble nothing in nature. Does the post even matter?

Looking forward to your replies.... and for this snow to melt and trying things out on the stream.

No, but I notice a difference in how well I can see them. I tie them in white, fl yellow, and fl orange. In different light, each works best.

Normand Guest

post colors can be white, yellow, orange, pink, gray, black, red

different lighting conditions need different colors

I've had some luck with black posts under certain conditions (late day, lots of glare); not a cure-all but a help. I've also used a few with a chartreuse post on a local stream that bubbles up like a washing machine in the heavier spring flows; makes it easier to tell fly from foam and the fish don't seem to care.

Regards,
    Scott

I've pared it down to yellow and white.

I can see these two colors under most conditions.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I've only used white, and with all the fish I've caught using them, I don't think they seem to care too much. For me, the white really helps with seeing the fly, especially if you have to make a fairly long cast. I've seen the posts in all sorts of colors, so I would imagine that it really boils down to personal preference. Then again, someone with more experience using them may blow my theory out of the water, lol.

TT.

I think the answer begins with figuring out what the post on a parachute fly represents to the fish. Only then can you begin to determine whether the color of that anatomic structure is of much importance.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    post colors can be white, yellow, orange, pink, gray, black, red

different lighting conditions need different colors
    Normand (and others),

How do you decide what color to use in what conditions? I mean, obviously its 'pick a color you can see', but what conditions lead you to choose orange, yellow, etc.?

Hot pink. I have some sparkle yarn...Lots of sparkle yarn, in that color that I got from Gramma's knitting basket when she didn't want it. I don't think I will ever run out. Shows up like a nekkid octogenarian at a rock concert. I just have to comb it out after I tie it in.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I know it doesn't matter based on the replies, (pink, white, yellow, etc.) but I always match the post to the natural color of the insect I am trying to imitate. When my imitation looks like the real McCoy it gives me confidence in my choice of fly which helps at times, or at least I think it does.

Besides, as a prolific midge fisherman I gave up trying to see my flies years ago!

+ Reply to Thread