+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Different Version of Sparkle Dun

Most of the time, I like my fly bodies to be in the surface film or below it, rather than on top of it. I tend to use CDC as a very last resort. I prefer to use snowshoe hare foot when ever a recipe calls for CDC, because I'd rather not waist a lot of time drying or changing flies. One false cast and it's back in action. You don't even need floatant most of the time. The stuff floats like a cork. CDC requires too much attention / maintenance or fly changing.

I can tell you that snowshoe works out well for the type of pattern you have above. Mine are a little more simplified. I like the "less is more" principle because I feel like I can fish the heck out of the thing and don't worry about putting it into the danger zone. It's only a 10c hook and it only took a minute or two to tie, so I leave a lot in the logs. LOL .

I use about a third to a quarter of the sparkle antron for the shuck/tail as seen on the photo above (or some partridge or duck flank fibers), a dubbed body in the color of choice and a wing of snowshoe rabbit foot. That's all. The wing can be trimmed short or long, looped or tied parachute style. The hook can be straight or curved or even bent ( tied as a knock down cripple). I'm also a big fan of the "Usual". With the snowshoe foot...you can pull the fly under water then let it rise to the surface like an emerger. I've had more hits that way on days when others with me can't buy a fish on anything. If you want it hi vis...you can add HiVis antron (pink is best) or what ever to it...or just get out a hi vis marker and color it up. I don't have any trouble seeing the natural however until it gets too small to see in Hi Vis anyway. lol
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

An Excellent tye that will certainly catch fish.

It will sit in the film with only the wing floating above the water for the most part as designed. I consider it an Emerger Pattern; especiallly with the trailing shuck.

I put some on curved hooks like the TMC 2487 and only put floatant on the wing and head to get the butt even lower in the film.
    Max

IMG_2038.jpg
    I tie some with Widow's Web. It is a polypropylene material so it doesn't absorb water and super easy to tie in.

+ Reply to Thread