+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shcrade knives

Default Shcrade knives

Can anyone attest to their quality? Are they usually good, bad, ease of sharpening, edge hold? Looking at one in particular to be my new trout knife.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce...le/SCT152.html

I am fuzzy in when i got my first Schrade, it was somewhere in my teenage years (so 20+ years ago), my BIL gave me one for a birthday for a hunting knife. It was one of the first knives with a guthook. It worked great for many years, no problems with it ever. Pretty easy to sharpen and held a good edge. About 4 years ago I lost it in the woods. I missed a deer with an arrow and had to dig the head out of a dead log. I usually carry my knife in a backpack, well when i loaded up to ead out i saw the knife stuck in the log. I picked it up and put it in its sheath and stuck it in my front pocket since it was getting dark and still had a bit of a walk back to my truck. Some where along the way it worked its way out of my pocket. I searched and searched for hours over the next couple weeks (and still look for it on the ground when i hunt that area) but never found it.

I also belong to an archery forum and a Schrade rep came on one day and wanted to know what people thought about their knives. I related this story and later that day got a pm from him asking for my mailing address so he couldnt send me a replacement. So I would say they also have good customer service.

The replacement knife seems to be similar in quality to the original than i lost, the sheath seems to be lower quality though.

The knife in your link is the same knife except my two have the gut hook on the end. The blade is much thicker than a fillet knife
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

I have always been a Case knife fan and did not consider the Schrade brand as good, but in truth its a Ford - Chevy type thing. They are decent knifes considering their cost. The link had a Frost knife ad at the bottom, it's probably the best knife for their cost out there.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

That is the knife one of my buddies brings Moose hunting with him. It seems to do a fine job and holds a good edge (Moose hide is particularly hard on knife edges).
    He has had it for years and doesn't see the need to look for anything else.

Geoff

NewTyer 1 Guest

I have owned many Schrade knives and loved them but, always seem to go back to the classic Buck 110 folder

Blog Entries

working knives for working people, nothing fancy, keep an edge, work like a knife should.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I've had one of those pictured in the link, for 20+ years, and it works well for what it's designed for. However, as a fishing knife, I think I'd opt for one with a bit thinner blade.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Blog Entries

I have a sharp finger, too, but bought it years ago as a squirrel hunting knife. Works like a champ. Schrades are just fine, and I think you'll get your money's worth and more for $13.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I've had and used two Schrade knives. One of them was called the Sharp Finger. The other was a larger model of the same knife. Both knives were easy to sharpen and easy to use. My favorite was the Sharp Finger re-handled with a custom deer antler grip. Both knives made me happy with every use. I don't think you can go wrong with any of Schrade's offerings. That being said, I live less than 5 miles from Buck Knife's manufacturing facility, and since I've been there to visit, and carry a folding Buck all the time, IMHO there is no better knife available at any cost. If I have the ability to buy any knife at any price, I'd choose Buck. If I need the best knife available at a budget price, I'd choose Schrade. BTW, Schrade's Old Timers can't be beat. Especially the folding hunters. I ramble, but I like both knives.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Rapala makes a small filet knife that would be good for trout, unless you want a folder. My brother in law in a bad year cleans about 500 crappie and uses a Rapala most of the time.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread