+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rite Bobbin design

Default New Rite Bobbin design

I thought some of you fly tyers might be interested in this. I own a Rite Bobbin and love it, but have had a complaint about the tube coming unglued over time. This new setup looks much better and they have developed an innovative use for the bobbin tube to tie off your flies.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting enough that I'll pick up a couple at the Idaho Falls fly tying expo this spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f8uJ...ayer_embedded#

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Great Video.

I have one of the older designs and it isn't my favorite bobbin (just doesn't feel right) with the ability to whip finish etc I might have to buy one of these and get used to it.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

They actually are a SPONSOR here, we just haven't been able to get a Sponsor Page up for them.....hint hint Ron?

I have been enjoying my Rite bobbins for about 3 years now. Love em! No problems at all.
    Am also a dealer for them, that is how much I think of them.
    In fact I modified my rod wrapping rig so I can place two different colors of silk thread on them for perfect tension for my wraps.
    I also use only YLI silk thread for all of my fly tying. Tons of colors!! 200 meters on a spool, just a bit finer than 8/0.
    Denny

I like the new grip and the idea of using the o-ring grip as the thread keeper. Using the barrel as a half hitch tool is of marginal value, to me. Might have to pick another up at the next show. This is easily the best bobbin on the market...for me anyway...

I like the half hitch/whip finish idea but I wonder about sticking the eye of a hook into the bobbin tube during the process. I would think that could bugger up the inside of the tube and subsequently cause the thread to fray or break. I know doing it it buggers up my half hitch tool.

I use a metal ballpoint pen with a brushed chrome finish to do the same thing, it works great for that. I stack 3 or 4 half hitches on top of each other and slide them onto the fly.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

fancy, I like it...I have one of their bobbins, but it is too big for most of my fly tying...I bought it thinking it would work on long spools from the fabric store, but it didn't...good for salt water flies, or big flies only...I would imagine a smaller bobbin though would be perfect, and I like the design they just came up with, thanks for the video of that!

I have several of the originals which were made in Sunnyvale, CA. The new design looks interesting. I have chatted with the new owner, Lyle at shows. He really comes off as someone who really wants to do good by fly tyers. I will probably buy a couple at the upcoming ff show and give them a go. For the most part I use the Automatic Bobbin by Nor-Vise, but when I am not using the rotary feature I like to use standard bobbins.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I bought one. I really like the design. I have copied the design by putting O- rings on my other bobbins. The O rings work great on the Nor- vise bobbins. It looks like the tube is stainless steel. Shouldn't be bothered by a softer hook and the pressure needed for a half hitch.
    Last edited by rons81; 01-28-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

+ Reply to Thread