+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout Unlimited Colorado Pontoon Boat

Default Trout Unlimited Colorado Pontoon Boat

Ive decided to take the plunge for a personal float craft again. Ive had a round float tube for sometime and am upgrading. So does anyone have any experience with the Trout Unlimited Colorado pontoon boat. Its a toss up between that one and a Skeeter thats a comparible price. It seems that the Trout Unlimited has a lot more features than the Water Skeeter which is a little more money. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

FYI- I will be selling my round float tube for some extra cash for the pontoon boat. It will be posted on the "things for sale board". I dont have pictures yet as this was spur of the moment with wife approval. I love that women.

Seege

I am assuming the Colorado is the 9' which is a great length, the waterskeeter I also assuming the Backwater 9 (around the same price)The Skeeter says 16" diameter tubes not sure on the Colorado. One thimg, they both have the PVC bladders (I personally prefer Urithane) which will change (loose air when cold or inflate at high altitudes)however the Colorado states that their PVC won't change in cold or hot. Personally, I would go Colorado. However, fishing in a kick boat without an apron is at times difficult to get use to, specially on windy days. I use a small basket to my side and strip side ways.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

[This message has been edited by Fly Goddess (edited 10 March 2006).]

I have one of the TU Colorado boats and LOVE it.

It's great with the oars and pretty good with a trolling motor.

One thing to check before you buy.... Sam's Club had them advertised a while back for a lot less than other retailers.

May want to look at this review done by a member of another forum. It's comparing the Colorado to the Blue Heron - boat from BPS.
    [url=http://home.adelphia.net/~haydash/images/pontoon/pontoon1.htm:9a053]http://home.adelphia.net/~haydash/images/pontoon/pontoon1.htm[/url:9a053]

The Colorado weighs just under 90lbs. Wow! I have an 11 1/2' pontoon and even with the modifications, I still don't think it comes close to 80+. My vote if dropping names would be Dave Scaddan and North Fork Outdoors.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

I believe the TU boat has dual bladders in each toon. I guess the weight isnt a factor since Im still young and dumb enough to lug it wherever there is a portage or river access. Also I dont mind breaking it down into a few pieces for travel. That was actually a great review done on the two boats. The only other question I would have is the durability of the pontoons on the TU. So if anyone has had any problems with their bladders (lets not go there) durability I would like to hear about it.

Thanks for all the replies,
    Seege

Hey guy,

Anytime you want to come out and take my skeeter for a float you're welcome to. I really like it. I compared it to the Fishcat on the floor up at Cabelas before I bought. Between those two It was Skeeter hands down. Better design and better fit and finish. That was 4 or 5 years ago though. I can also show you the strap-on 2 wheel cart I made for dragging it long distances. I think the weight on my skeeter was 54 Lb. I once balanced it on my shoulders and walked it a full half mile back into Wakeley lake up in Michgan and back out again. That's when I designed and built the wheels for it. Get hold of me if you want to try it.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Satchel are you tying at the show next week. I told Denny that I could be there in the afternoon on Sunday.

Seege

My Skeeter (River Tammer II) has a dual bladder system. Each pontoon has 2 valves, 2 air chambers. If you spring a leak you can over inflate the remaining bladder and keep on going, a safety feature that I liked.

Note: some rivers require a min. of 3 floatation chambers for inflatible water craft to be allowed, this system meets that standard...

Posted this earlier then realized you were talking pontoons...so deleted it....however if you don't really need a full blown pontoon here is something I ran across at a recent show...A Dave Scadden product as FG mentioned above.

It's a u-boat basically but apparently more stable than others so it is rated for moving water and only weighs 21 pounds I think they said...at this point no oars but they plan to come out with oars next....when that happens I may not be able to resist even though they're somewhat pricey.

It's called ..Freestyle H3
    [url=http://www.northforkoutdoors.com:9a985]www.northforkoutdoors.com[/url:9a985]

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 11 March 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread