+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scott G2 casters...

Default Scott G2 casters...

I am in the process of buying a Scott G2.

My question is what people think of the 8'8" vs. the 9' length and what wt.

I have been fishing a 9' 4wt that is borrowed for a while now and it is the perfect length and weight for a majority of what I am fishing. That is the San Juan, The Rio Chama etc...

We are plagued with wind around here so it is not out of the ordinary to be fishing in the wind. It is just something we have to deal with in our area. So the rod I have been borrowing is a Sage Flight 9' 4wt. It seems to work pretty good but there are a few things I just don't like, otherwise I would be looking at that rod to purchase.

I really like the feel of the G2 and the looks are perfect for me. It seems to be a match made in heaven yet there are still some uncertainties on my part.

With the build of the G2 I am thinking I should go for the 5 wt to be closer to a medium/fast 4wt . I think the G2 is a truly medium flex and with the soft tip going 5wt seems like it is almost the same as that Sage Flight 4wt.

And then of course I have heard that the 8'8" length is really more of a workhorse in the G2 series...
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

I have a 9' 5wt and an 8'4" 3wt and these are my two favorite rods. I love the G2. With all the fly rods I own, these are the two I grab 80% of the time. I can't really comment on the 8'8" but I don't think you could go wrong with the 9'.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

If you are sold on the G it behooves you to at least try the 88 before you make your purchase.

"I am in the process of buying a Scott G2.

My question is what people think of the 8'8" vs. the 9' length and what wt."

I went through the same process about a year ago. I'd recommend speaking with Ian directly at Scott Rods. I found him to be the most knowledgeable technical person for flyrods and was able to go into great detail about the pros and cons of all the G2's, specifically as to what each model was designed for.

I ended up with an 8'8" 4wt and 8'8" 5wt and couldn't be happier. They are flat out great flyrods and I recommend them without hesitation.

Zonk

+ Reply to Thread