+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I wanna know!

Blog Entries

Default I wanna know!

Who broke the board?

It was interesting to watch Ron scramble, though, and see how the site was slowly coming back together.

Might I suggest a RAID setup with mirrored hard drives? All it costs is an extra hard drive. No one would have ever known that drive got corrupted except the admin.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I posted some photos of a fly rod wednesday night. I was following instructions and finally got it right. Next morning the site is down. Now that complete post is gone. GULP! Did I break it?
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

good suggestions, but in the case of FAOL their sysadmin (me) is a volunteer that is working 12 hour days at the moment at his day job.

That and the fact that FAOL is a small business venture that barely covers it's expenses - it really is a work of love for Dee, not a profit center - and RAID doesn't fit the budget.

For those techies... The board WAS running on a Ubuntu system, it had issues that were slowly growing. A week ago I did a bunch of updates.
    Mail ate itself, and I uninstalled / re-installed - OH if you sent mail in the last week for here... please do so again if it's important - That was my casualty of war this time.
    When I did a restart of the system to make sure all was OK it didn't come back up. The tech at the colo center said the /dev directory was corrupt.

To RackSpace's credit they put in a new disk, installed a new OS and made the old disk mountable for me.

For the short term - Because I wasn't sure how long I'd be fighting - I installed enough of my backups to let everyone know what was going on. The system is now running at an alternate location. Only CHAT should be offline at this point. IF the system performs well I may keep it here and find a hosted chat solution. RackSpace is great, but without RAID, and automated backups, and more attention than I can afford at the moment, they are not the best solution for FAOL at this time.

Let me know if you see issues, and how the system performs please. Thank you all for your patience. Not getting home until late and then having to scramble like this is way too much like my day job

--Ron--

Blog Entries

Post again! I had posted pics of a new rod, too, but that post is still here. Between the two, it must have been more beauty than the board could handle.
    Kevin

Kevin, I found it. It's there in rod building where I left it.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Blog Entries

Ron,

Wow. This went straight to Advanced Mode. That's unusual.

I know you are a volunteer and I think most of the long time members do too. I think you did a splendid job of getting things back up quickly particularly considering that this is not where you could actually get your hands on the machine and beat it with a big hammer. I wasn't sure what the hosting arrangements were.

Adding RAID would have been mush less expensive if you had physical control of the machine. Having had your day job and having hosted back office and ecommerce applications in house, I understand your position completely.
    Kevin

All that needs to be said is Thanks Ron.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

We're still working things out, keep your eyes open for possible problems please - gosh, have to use all this high powered tech ability when we can!

+ Reply to Thread