+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some motivation!

Default I need some motivation!

I haven't tied a fly in probably two months. Lately it's been crappie jigs because that's what I'm using right now... But to be honest, I haven't felt any need to tie a fly. No motivation! I've got a decent stock of my go-to bluegill flies done already.
    Any chance someone can post up some warmwater flies? I need a kick in the butt to get started up again!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

here ya go!!

buttkick.gif

now get tying!!

By the way, I think we need to add this one to the smiley list
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

quivira kid,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but, there was something about this fly that I really liked and the youtube on tying it was very good. I have tied up a couple following the instructions and have a couple tied up with a dark olive chenille body, black rubber and a brown hackle. It just looks like it will work very well on smallmouth/largemouth bass plus I think the trout will like it also.

It was in the "Warm Water" section here on FAOL.

Check it out and see what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLJid-Ai-EY
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

quivira kid,

How about some Black Ghost streamers? I have done very, very well with them for smallmouth/largemouth bass, not to mention trout and salmon.

http://nsfa-adventures.blogspot.com/...-atlantic.html

maodiver - that is one funny emoticon!!!!!

Best regards, Dave S.

Motivation? Does it have to be SINCERE MOTIVATION? If not, then how about this: "Hey Zac...I'll give you $25 for every warmwater fly you tie this week!"

That'd be good motivation...yes?

I've been tying a fly or two every evening. Wide variety of stuff...I haven't managed to tie 2 of the same thing in a row. So many ideas...so little time. I haven't taken any pictures of them recently...and I'm not sure they are picture-worthy even. Still looking for more ideas...
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Go fishing, lose a bunch of the flies you have tied then you will be motivated to tie more.

Each spring I also pick a "class" of fly to focus on. one year it was terrestrials (mostly foam based patterns), another year was large streamers (esp Zoo Cougars and Crayfish patterns), last year was parachute dry flies. This year i think it will be flies from John Barr's book.

I try to make my focus something that i dont tie often but want to learn and want to fish with more often
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Sometimes just tying something new and different can be motivational. I don't tie a lot of warm water patterns, but I keep this site bookmarked. Search around, you'll find something.
    http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns.asp

Blog Entries

Miss Betty, have you considered aiming a <ZOT> at the Quivira Kid ?

Ed

Fishdog, have you noticed in the step-by-step that they use two different hooks? I'll have to give that Black Ghost a try. That's just what I was lookin' for! I've got a few modifications in mind to increase durability and add some "personal touch" to it.
    Also, I just got some Congo hair in the mail yesterday so I'm gonna have to start in on some shad flies!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

quivira kid,

Just saw that! Here's a better link to that same fly!!
    http://www.nsfa-adventures.com/STEP_...HOST_TROUT.htm

Best regards, Dave S.

+ Reply to Thread