+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Sale Etiquette

Default For Sale Etiquette

A request for an item was recently posted on the Things Wanted forum. I contacted the member by PM and we setup a transaction via email. Once the buyer had the location to send the funds (a check), I told him I'd wait for the check to clear and them post the item to him. The buyer didn't take kindly to that and responded with a rather vitriolic email telling me he was no longer interested.

This wasn't a high dollar item, but in this economy I don't think there is much argument that to many every dollar is precious. So my questions are this, in the same situation would you have done the same, and did I do something wrong?

Thanks,
    Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Moffitt View Post
    .......... and did I do something wrong?
    Absolutely not.
    It’s your property to do with as you will, until it's paid for. That means you make the rules…and in this case getting paid with actual funds was one of the rules.

You stuck to your guns, some wouldn't have.......
    Best, Dave

yes, let the check clear. you will delay delivery several days so...just don't tell him why you're delayed...or blame it on the usps

Brian,

In this day and age, I would wait for the check to clear before sending the item if I did not know the "buyer" or if the "buyer" was a rather new member. Anytime that I purchase anything from a member here or from a vendor, I always send them a Post Office Money Order and that way there is no waiting period. I have sold some items to members on FAOL and sent the item before ever receiving the money, but, that was because they have been members for a long time and from reading a lot of their posts, I felt that they were someone I could trust. I have only been "burnt" once in all these years on FAOL and rather than pursue the matter, I just "chalked" it up as a lesson learned. I knew that I had done my part and my Maker would allow me to sleep and if they felt bad enough, maybe they would come through. It has been about 2 years, so, I guess they can sleep......
    My recommendation to you for future deals is to request a Post Office Money Order. Make sure to request that the Money Order is from the US Post Office and not from somewhere else.

I feel you did nothing wrong....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I buy and sell stuff on line probably more than i should. Much of it is high dollar stuff. now in many cases I'm probably overly trusting but most of the time if the person is paying by check and I don't know them I tell them right up front I'm holding it until it clears. I've been burned a few times on small things and learned. If they don't like that then they had better be sending a USPS money order. I'm not a big fan of PayPal because I hate the fact that they charge to play with my money.
    i wouldn't be worried. If he doesn't find his item anywhere else maybe he'll come back.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

I think that is how most transactions on this board are handled unless the parties involved have a history beyond posting here. Frankly, I wouldn't have taken the care you did to protect the individuals identity in this post.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

FWIW, I recently had somebody send me a money order in the hopes that it would make things easier for me than a check. In reality, my bank told me not to count on the funds until the money order had cleared. They said they couldn't trust money orders in these days of color printers. It would have been easier and faster if I had received a check.

There's only two reasons I can think of for someone to get angry at you for holding the item until the check clears. Either they don't understand why you need to do that in this day and age, or they do understand all too well and it doesn't suit their plans. Either way, you did nothing wrong. I can't imagine sending a check to someone who doesn't know me and expecting them to send me the goods without finding out how good my check is.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Anybody that's in business will agree that getting a check and getting money are two different things. Wait until you have the money.

I've had transactions with a number of good folks here. Some accepted PayPal, others preferred a personal check or money order instead. Regardless, I often request that the seller WAITS until the payment has cleared BEFORE they send the item. By doing this, they feel safer about me as a buyer, and I know they have indeed been paid if the item arrives in my mail.

This is how is should be. I know there has been an issue here a time or two where somebody sends the money, and then they never hear from the buyer again...but it is rare.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread