+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why flyfishing sometimes has a bad reputation.

Default Why flyfishing sometimes has a bad reputation.

I just returned from the rodbuilding/flyfishing show in Charlotte. I had to walk through the flyfishing area to get to the builders area, and noticed a display from one of the upscale suppliers (I'm not going to name the specific brand). They had a mannequin all dressed up with the company's waders, vest, boxes, rod, reel, hat, etc. You get the idea. There was a sign stuck to the front of the mannequin that read "If you want to be the man, you have to buy the man." I really wish that I would have taken a picture. As a flyfisherman, I really found that particular attitude offensive. I'm pretty sure I'm not the man, but if I was, it wouldn't be because I bought equipment with the right label. I know this particular attitude exists, but I've never seen it quite this blatantly demonstrated. Is this something you have dealt with often or is it just a poor marketing decision?
    I'm not trying to start an argument here, between factions, but personally that is the sort of advertising that will turn me off of a company and I'm curious to see how you would view this approach. I know the non-flyfishermen I was with basically responded with "That's why I don't flyfish". My own personal gut-instinct tells me that anyone who would fall for such advertising tactics would probably be better served with lessons.

[This message has been edited by ol' blue (edited 27 February 2006).]

ol' blue, ...

Oh it exists EVERYWHERE! ... I don't know why. Maybe it was the FIlm, ... maybe it's marketing.

Maybe it's today's "society" that thinks you can BUY knowledge/competency.

Sure I have guide weight breathable waders and a gortex jacket. ... They WORK. Did I buy them to get my picture taken, ... no!

I just hope that newcomers to the sport aren't taken in by the hype. I mean, ... I'd rather teach 10 kids to fly fish on my "Black arrow" loaner rods, than one would be magazine cover model who was more interested in makin a fashion statement than really learning about stream habitat.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:6fb40]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:6fb40]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:6fb40]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:6fb40]
    Christopher Chin

Blog Entries

Perhaps it ought to have read, "We are looking for some pompous chumps with cash to burn." Not to imply at all that wearing that gear makes one a pompous ***. Not at all.

But implying that one has to wear that gear to be a "man" is the point of pomposity.
    Yes, it would put me off as well.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:2d041]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:2d041]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

And a good thing CasterGirl or Fly Goddess didn't see it, ... They'd probably have ripped the clothes off and thrown the darn thing out the door.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:48769]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:48769]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:48769]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:48769]
    Christopher Chin

When I was a kid, fly fishermen such as my grandfather wore a battered fadora hat, a buffalo check wool jacket, wool trousers, and hip boots. They carried a cane rod and a woven willow creel.
    When I dress like that I feel like a true fly fisherman...no really

------------------
    fishing will do a lot for a man, but it won't make him truthful
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Ol' Blue
    The young seem to believe that You have to dress for the occasion...and If flyfishing is the occasion you must dress the part.

Clothes and expensive rods, reels, and supporting equipment along with a big SUV signifies a great fisher in their eyes, and in some cases they're correct. But what you are referring to I think, is the guy who dresses the part but hasn't reached a skill level to match!

Sorta like the Olympics wanna-be who buys jumping skis before he's ever hit the beginners trail.

Just makes no sense to me!

Ol' Bill

that is some crappy attitude that company has. What a turn-off! Have you thought of writing to them and letting them know how this affected you?

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

Just my $0.02 worth, but they are in the business to sale and it sounds like they were displaying their best. Can't blame them for that. It's like that every where. You don't walk into a car showroom and see there most reliable/cheapest car. You see the Cadillac's (so to speak) and maybe that is what the shop was trying to do. FWIW

Hi Folks,

Here are my thoughts on the matter.
    Flyfishing is not a religion. You can
    make up your own rules as you go. If the
    company in question has found a market for
    their gear, kewl, that is after all the
    American way.

If their gear does not suit your fancy,
    that's kewl too! Go with what does. To me
    it's like the difference between a top of
    the line Gatti or Sage rod. It's a great
    tool. But if it's not the way you choose
    to go, there are other tools available over
    a broad price range. Basically, I'm saying
    that there is something for everyone and I
    don't begrudge others whose choices are
    different than mine.*G* Warm regards, Jim

While I'm a bit on the young side to remember how lfyfishing was before "The Film" I did grow up with, and was strongly influenced by, fly fishers who hardly fit the mold you see in catalogues. I think fly fishing is often portrayed as being for the upper class, and I think that a lot of companies try to appeal to the nouveau rich out there. I recently saw an ad on tv for an investment company who showed their investors who had made their money through the company fly fishing. I think it can also be blamed on us as an instant gratification society. Like JC says, "How long does it take to learn fly fishing? Who knows." I think people think that if they spend $800 on a rod and $500 on waders that fish are going to throw themselves at theit fly. Whew...sorry, but I had to get that off my chest. Just my two cents...

[This message has been edited by buckeyetier (edited 27 February 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread