+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Farewell Commander Winters

Default Farewell Commander Winters

Dick Winters, the former World War II commander whose war story was told in the book and miniseries ?Band of Brothers,? has died.
    Dick Winters led a quiet life on his Fredericksburg farm and in his Hershey home until the book and miniseries ?Band of Brothers? threw him into the international spotlight.

"One wounded member of Easy Company wrote Winters from a hospital bed in 1945, ?I would follow you into hell.?

Link to story:
    http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...of_brothe.html
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

He impressed me as a humble man from the interviews I've seen of him. I'm sorry to see him pass, but hope it was with the dignity a life so extraordinary deserved. God Speed, Sir.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Salute! Rest in peace, sir.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Mr./Major Dick Winters someone I would like to have had the opportunity to share a cup of coffee with. A true American hero, as was all of those guys. I watch the series everytime I see it on the TV but would encourage you to find a copy of the book and read it.

I did a little research on Maj. Winters the attached photo show his commendations. He was recommended for the Medal of Honor but downgraded because LTC Cole in the 101st had previously been award a MOH.

Maj. Richard Winters.JPG
    A thousand of the WWII veterans are dying every day. Take time to thank them and spend some time with them. I was fortunate to chat with Mr. Velvie Dollar, who serviced with the 4th ID yesterday but last year lost a good friend, H.G. "Pete" White, who was wounded twice while with the 82 Airborne in Europe. Pete was the fire chief for Reynolds Metals Co. in north Alabama, they were my largest client during the 70's and 80's. Pete and I used to use my visits to get off and chase bass on the TN river. He had a German round remove his left hand ring finger and another penetrated his scrotum, missing all of the contained plumbing. He never showed me that scar, I didn't ask. Of course, my greatest hero was my Dad, 82nd Artillery 1st Cav Division the Philipines and Japan.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 01-10-2011 at 02:26 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Farewell, and God speed Major Winters. You have truly been an inspiration to many generations of Americans.

TT.

I was sad to see that he passed away. The younger generation needs to learn from the WWII vets before they're all gone. It is a history that can never be learned from books.

God Speed Major

Let this be for Major Winters as well.... Never forget!

It was for men as these that we are free....

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...amp-Dedication

Last edited by Steve Molcsan; 01-11-2011 at 02:58 AM.

nighthawk Guest

Tough to see such a great American and fellow Pennsylvanian pass on. A humble man who truly always went above and beyond the call of duty in everything he did. Here is a small but interesting article from a local news source:

http://www.wgal.com/news/26437954/detail.html

Airborne Sir!

I found a link yesterday that lead me to Wikipedia, where I invested several minutesfollowing the links there to the story of several of the member of Easy Company and the 506 PIR. It was time well spent as far as I am concerned. It told about the Regimental commanders, a West Pointer from NC, about Lt. Dieks, probably a good guy just not cut out for leadership under fire, Capt. Nixon a rich kid with a great mind for military planning who struggle with the bottle. LTC Spiers, a tough nosed leader of men.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I'm proud to have shared the same Earth with this fellow Pennsylvanian.

I have been inspired by his bravery and those that fought with him ever since I became enamored with the works of Stephen Ambrose.

Nothing can repay the debt owed to bravest of the greatest generation!

+ Reply to Thread