+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flys

Default flys

i am new to fly fishing. what types of flys are good for this time of year. i went last evening to laurel hill fly section and used a yarn salmon egg but i didnt do any good. also any good books or vids for me. i just dont understand what to use for this very cold conditions as it was only around 35 degrees yesterday. thanks for the help

It would help greatly if you told us where you are located, the species of fish you are fishing for, and the type of water on which you'll be fishing.

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

hi and thanks. i am located in southwestern pa. i live in westmoreland county. laurelhill creek is in somerset county. pa.

hi and thanks. i only fish for trout. i just am having trouble knowing what to use and how to fish it.and when to use it. thanks

Griz;
    Come on up to the Michigan Fish-In this August, only Trout to fish for.
    Midges for this time of year for sure. Do you tie too?
    Griz, forgive me for not properly welcoming you to the best site around. Coffee's fresh, just wipe your feet. Come on and visit the chat room any evening.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 08 March 2006).]

I've fished Laurel Hill Creek a bunch. I grew up in Somerset County. Most of my time lately on LH has been around the scout camp outside of Bakersville, but the section below Whipkey Dam down to Ursina is a good peice of water too. Good flies to try are some old standards: White, black, brown and olive wooley buggers in size 8, 10 & 12, BH prince nymphs, BH hare's ears, and copper johns in size 12 thru 18, san juan worms in red and green weenies size 12 and 14, can be decent early season flies to try. Even sucker spawn and glo-bugs are worth a shot in some conditions. Things are a still pretty cold up on the mountain this early. The lack of action could be related to the cold water. My guess is the water temp, at best, are still in the low 40?s, might even be in the upper 30?s. While trout are a cold water species they get pretty lethargic in those temps and aren?t very enthusiastic feeders. They can still be caught, but you have to fish slow and get the fly really close to them to get their interest. Streamer patterns are also worth trying early, small clousers styles in various color (chartreuse/white, black/white, black/tan), shiners and some brown patterns have produced fish for me on these free stone streams.

If you like Laurel Hill slip over the ridge to the Westmoreland side and try Indian Creek. It passes under Rt 31 just east of Jones Mill. Good luck, keep trying, they?re in there!

------------------
    Joe B
    SW Ohio

"I grew up in PA, I work in Ohio. My heart still belongs to PA."
    Joe Bertolini

hi

i was at indian creek after i left laurel hill. no good there either. now you guys say midges but like i said i am a begineer and need more advice on what actually to use and how to fish them. i also have a lot of the wooolybuggers and i am assuming you just fish them like a streamer. also a guy there told me to buy some stonefly nymphs and use those. the little glo balls that imitate a salmon egg when and how do i fish those. i live about 3 miles from indian creek. well thankyou and the help is appreciated

Fish the wooley buggers, nymphs, egg patterns, etc should be fished on a dead drift. In other words it should float naturally in the current, uneffected by the line. These should be fished down in the water column a few inches above the bottom. You should feel the fly ticking along periodically. If your fly isn't bouncing along the bottom and occasionally getting hung up you probably don't have enough weight on. If you're constantly getting hung up you have too much weight on. Adjust accordingly and often as you move from location to location. Yes it can be tedious, but very, very productive. Joe Humphreys has a good video on nymph fishing you should watch. It's probably available at your local library.

You can try strike indicators as a means of aiding you in controlling your depth but I don't like them much and don't use them very often. They can be handy in that they will help you determine if your drift is natural and can aid in the detection of a strike (if you see the thing stop, go under or move in a way that's contrary to the current set the hook!).

I'm still of the opinion that you just hit a day the fish were cold and/or uncooperative. It happens. Change flies often, sometimes they want white, sometimes black, sometimes your never find out but as the old saying goes "the worst day fishing..." well you know the ending!

------------------
    Joe B
    SW Ohio

"I grew up in PA, I work in Ohio. My heart still belongs to PA."
    Joe Bertolini

Hi Griz,
    I just looked up the hatches for your area, I'm from the northeast, but I do have hatch charts for most of the state.

Laurel Hill Ck.

sculpin minnows size 6-8 anytime
    B.H. Nymphs size 12-14 anytime
    Woolly Buggers size 8-14 anytime
    Honey Bugs size 12-14 anytime
    Black Stonefly size 16 anytime
    Hope this helps you out, Dave

------------------
    Tying and Flying is the only way to fish!

[This message has been edited by dragonfly1 (edited 08 March 2006).]

grizzly1972:

Over there in the left-hand column, is "Flyfishing Basics". It has everything that you ever needed to know about fly fishing...

Knots
    Basic Tying Kit
    Fly Tying...Beginning,Intermediate,Advance
    Beginners Journal
    Hatchery Fish
    Not Quite Entomology
    Fish Weight Chart
    Fly Fishing 101
    Fly Tying Terms
    Float Tubing
    Rod Building
    Saltwater Fishing

Give it a try, lot of time and effort by many anglers went into creating this section, covering just about every question we all had when starting into fly fishing.

~Parnelli

No such thing as a "Stupid Question", "Stupid Answers"...yes, ""....no

+ Reply to Thread