+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A "Go To" fly

nighthawk Guest

Default A "Go To" fly

I tied this one myself so it doesn't look the greatest but it catches fish. The Grizzly Hackled Moose Mane Mosquito is a favorite "Go To" fly of mine. Eventually I will master tying them with wings but these work great just like they are:

I always ty mine with the tails and hackle collar a little longer than called for so I can trim them on the stream. My dad has this saying about wearing too many clothes while hunting or fishing. He says that you can always take the excess off if you don't need it but you cannot put it on if you need and didn't bring it. I kind of use that same philosophy with my flies. At least with some of my flies.

Lets hear about your "Go To" flies.

why worry about wings? that fly is excellent.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

Eric,

The mosquito is one fly that I have neglected over the years. Don't know why, because it is very effective. I have several go-to patterns, depending on the water. Two I use a lot are the Griffiths Gnat and the Black Ghost streamer - with about 4 strands of pearl crystal flash on top the maribou wing.

Best regards, Dave S.

nighthawk Guest

Thanks guys! There is another fly that I picked up on here. Al's Crappie Candy by the late, great and sorely missed Al Campbell. My versions of it only look a bit like his but they work great.

Al really inspired me with the fly fishing and fly tieing.

I also use the Griffiths Gnat or Black Gnat but I palmer the hackle rear to front along the entire shank of the hook. Also I leave off the tail. I was taught to tie the hackle in b the tip at the hook bend, palmer the hackle forward to just behind the hook eye, wind the thread forward through the hackle, taper the head and whip knot. Supposedly the hackle will stay intact if it gets cut by sharp teeth. It does seem to take a bit of punishment that way before the fly is no longer fish-able.

nighthawk Guest

Here is the FAOL page for Al's Crappie Candy:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...052801fotw.php

It will catch anything that swims and eats little fish.

If they won't take an adams they just aren't hungry
    IMGP0045.jpg
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Thumbs up

Now that we're into the new year, these four dressings of the same basic pattern will be my go to's until late March. Tied on a TMC 9394 most often in size 6 - 2. We use them for lake dwelling Land Locked Salmon, Rainbow, Cutthroat & Brown Trout and Black Bass.

Nighthawk,
    The trout on the W.F. of the Carson River ( California ) would go nuts for that skeeter fly.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave E; 01-06-2011 at 04:04 PM.

I too have by passed the mosquito - I will go to my Adams and Griffiths gnat most of the time - and they work amazingly

nighthawk Guest

Beautiful flies folks!

You folks that are passing on the mosquito should tie a few to carry in your fly box. You probably don't think much about this, I know I didn't at first, but when you fish still waters or slack waters that cloud of gnats hovering around your head aren't just black gnats. There are probably mosquitoes in that cloud and they came from somewhere nearby like the water you are standing in or by.

LOL. When things get desperate, I go to the SJW.

+ Reply to Thread