+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wading Boots

Default Wading Boots

Im just looking for some input here. Should I buy felt sole or lug sole wading boots? What are the advantages and disadvantages of felt and what are the advantages and disadvantages of the rubber lug? What do you all use?

Blog Entries

Drew,

I perfer felt with studs for the best grip possible. Then felt only. Then hard bottom with studs.

However, the handwritting is on the wall and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon in trying to outlaw felt.

Heaven knows no other part of the boot or waders will carry foreign objects (yes, I am being sarcastic).

But, more and more places are looking at getting rid of felt. Some boot companies are coming out with softer 'hard bottom' but as far as how good they hold on slippery rocks will be determined later.

So, my best advice is to look at the various non-felt soles and try to find the ones that most people say (not the manufacturer) are the best replacement for felt.

Larry ---sagefisher---

If you are planning to fish in PA, NJ or NY you can use felt for the foreseeable future.

If you are planning to fish AK, VT you will need non-felt.

MD is considering a felt ban but it is NOT implemented as of yet.

FWIW I prefer studded felt over anything and I own several pairs of shoes with six different types of bottoms. The advantages are superior grip based on my experience and that of many others. Disadvantages are they are TERRIBLE in the snow and they take longer to dry.

Rubber bottoms run the gamut grip-wise depending on the manufacturer with the highest ratings coming from the highest priced shoes WITH high priced studs. If you are comfortable paying $200+ for felt alternatives you may get a shoe that satisfies your grip requirement but maybe not, it really depends on where you fish. There are opinions all over the map on whether or not they are as good as studded felt.

As far as the "invasive" thing goes, that has been beaten to death so I'll just leave it alone.

Drew, There are a lot of states and waters going to "No Felt" because of the invasive thing. I am buying new shoes for this coming season (and a trip to New Zealand where felt is outlawed) and have to go with my first pair of non-felt shoes ever. I've never had anything else so don't know what to expect. I will be reading this posting with interest. Thanks for asking the question I wanted to ask. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

i guess we can't where socks when wet wading in summer or the neoprene will have to go, or I'm sorry I think the felt thing is ridicules
    I may be under educated on this , so I guess I should just leave it alone.
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

They'll have to pry the felt from the soles of my dead boots!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDrifting View Post
    They'll have to pry the felt from the soles of my dead boots!
    Times two...

I have a pair of those so-called premium boots with that sticky rubber bottom - WAY over $200 in price, and they aren't worth a hoot on normal rock bottom rivers - add another $30.00 or so and buy the removable studs sold for these boots, and they become barely passable.

For my money, I prefer felt for most normal fising conditions, and then felt with spikes, or rubber with spikes. However, felt isn't any good in snow, and spikes aren't so good if you need to fish from a boat, or the like, where spikes might tear up the bottom (I had a guy tear the heck out of the cedar deck on my cataraft with them before I saw what he was wearing on his feet). Also, some of the boots I have with spiked soles are harder to walk in, expecially if I'm walking longer distances.

Thanks for all of this advice so quickly! Because i live in PA, and there are no laws against it, I have purchased a pair of felt soles boots with the removable spikes.

Hope you got the Korkers brand boot. They are awesome! They have interchangeable soles so you can choose between, felt, STUDDED FELT, the new studded rubber, no studs, ect... then when the sole wears out you don't need to buy a whole new boot just a replacement sole for about 25 bucks! I've had mine for about four years and only need to change the laces twice and I'm now on my third set of studded felt, but the boot hasn't broken down. I even think the new ones have the no lace twist thingy, but I'm old school, I like laces and studded felt.

+ Reply to Thread