+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jon Boat transport

Default Jon Boat transport

Hi,
    I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I will be getting a 10', 12', or 14' jon boat in the spring. I have a Subaru Forester than will be needed to transoport it. Now, how to do this? I can get Thule adapters for the load bars to use. I have a one person boatloader that could be used. Any thoughts out there?
    Thanks,
    Mike

I used to have great upper body strength, but no more. So, I use one of those kit trailers for going to the dump or hauling my 12' jon boat. Works great and does highway speed very well.

Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

A short narrow jonboat is a good device to find invent new ways to drown and entertain spectators.

I won't get in one less than 14' and at least 48 in. width, the wider the better for stability. It's easier to cast a flyrod standing up, and width helps in the rocky and tippy department. Life is much easier traveling with it on a trailer, and if you get into the safe size of boas, you won't want to be lifting and putting it on top.

Normand Guest

jus a thought

I was going to mention a trailer and it seems that several others have already. the trailer that LOTECH has pictured is a good trailer, I have one that is similar if not the same, folds in half for storage and paid about $350 total for it plus the lumber and plywood to finish it. I purchased the trailer from Harbor Freight and it made a cross country trip from Idaho to New York just fine hauling about 900lbs doing free way speeds. as for a john boat, I have a john boat on steroids, 18ft with a 90 horse jet on it. wider is better for stability as mentioned above and put a false floor in it so you can walk easier. the false floor also helps with permanently mounting storage boxes in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawthumb View Post
    A short narrow jonboat is a good device to find invent new ways to drown and entertain spectators.

I won't get in one less than 14' and at least 48 in. width, the wider the better for stability. It's easier to cast a flyrod standing up, and width helps in the rocky and tippy department. Life is much easier traveling with it on a trailer, and if you get into the safe size of boas, you won't want to be lifting and putting it on top.
    It's OK rawthumb. I don't stand up in my boat because I can't stand up & nobody is invited to ride along. I only fish from my boat alone. It's a great way to access still waters when float tubes and pontoons aren't enough.
    Last edited by Lotech; 01-03-2011 at 02:16 AM.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I got an old motorcycle trailer that I bought for $25 bucks. I invested another 100 for some more tubing and now I've got a trailer for my 14 foot boat for about 125-150 bucks. Trailering is the only way to go!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Blog Entries

Mike,

If you had a full sized pick up with an 8 foot bed, you could gat away with using that. However, for you, I strongly suggest using a trailer, as others have suggested, it is the best way to go.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Way back I cartopped a 12 ft. jon boat and could load and unload it alone. I had a easily removed seat on the front and a fold-down seat on the rear bench. At that time I was barely in my 30's and capable of doing lots of this easily that require more preparation now. I now have a 14 ft. on a trailer and connects to the hitch on my pickup bumper.

I think to really entertain and drown spectators you need a canoe.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I knew I came to the right place! The trailer idea is what I'm going with. I can justify it to do brush to the dump, get the snowblower to the repair place when needed, haul stuff,OH and most important - use it to transport the jonboat and the kayaks. Since my upper strength is now in my lower body, this should work. I suggested a pickup with an 8' bed, but the CFO shot that down!! Trailer is cheaper, maybe not as much fun, but cheaper. Hmmmm, I did buy one the Bazillion $ lottery tickets yesterday!
    Thanks all!
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread