+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Tube

Default Rod Tube

I've always used PVC pipe and a couple of end caps to keep my fly rods in(I'm up to six now). They work great but really show the world my REDNECK side. I try putting some stickers on them but that only looks worse. Spray paint didn't do the trick, still tacky!

Then one day I inherited a fly rod from my wifes Grandpa. It was in a cardboard type tube and looked much nicer. Also it was smaller around, lighter and had some nice caps on it.

Does anyone have any idea where I could get more of those cardboard tubes, or for that matter, any other ideas on how to store and carry my fly rods.

P.S. Yes I know about the nice cases, but to tell the truth, if I've got $50 to blow I'll spend it on flies, line or save toward a new rod or reel.

Thanks
    Jargo

Not sure of the cardboard tube, but material stores or factories have the round cardboard tubes that the material comes on. Thick and some quite long.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

jargo432
    Have your wife sew you a few socks to go over the PVC rod tubes. It dress them up real nice and show the less redneck side, but I am proud to show my red neck side.
    Ghost

Yep!
    Our tubes are white and plastic! Even got a couple with "handles" duck-taped on'em. Yep, old rotund redneck here.
    Cardboard should be OK for light duty protection, but the PVC will stand up to most commercial travel.
    .....lee s.

Jargo,

It's really all in how you 'finish' the PVC.

I spray paint mine black first. Then I take some turquoise blue paint (enamel 'trim' paint, like you'd use on the molding in a kitchen...) and, with the end of an old paint brush, dapple it onto the tube over the black. When it's finished, it looks like oxidized copper. A couple of spray on coats of clear, and they stand up to quite a bit of abuse.

I 'learned' this technique from a guy that sells wrought iron furnitire and sculptures. He uses this technique in several colors on everything he sells.

Because of the dappled colors, you can't see/notice any dings or scratches. The clear spray finish is very durable. Holds up to outdoor furniture use for several years here in the Arizona sun, so it should last a lifetime on a rod tube.

I print the 'logo' for the tube on good quality paper, coat the paper with several coats of the clear spray, cut it out, then use spray adhesive to attach it to the tube.

Customers love them, they are different, look nice, and hold up well. Not too much work, either. You can paint several in about an hour (spread over several days, of course, as the separate coats have to dry).

You can pick your own 'colors' and you'll never have to guess which tube is one of yours....

In any event, they don't look too 'hillbilly' and they do work well in their main function, protecting the rods.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

You could use the tube from commercial wallcovering,they are 54"long.I think they would stand up to medium conditions. Pvc for air travel,just wear a plaid shirt and jeans
    tell'm about your ranch with the trout streams.

bob

I'd stick to the PVC tubes. Once the cardboard gets wet it's ruined. The PVC doesn't give off the "Steel me" I'm valuable neon glow of fancy wood or aluminum tubes. If you want to fancy then up a bit check out [url=http://www.landmarkflyrodtubes.com/:8ff4d]http://www.landmarkflyrodtubes.com/[/url:8ff4d]
    He sells the nice ends that fit into the tube and screw into the tube caps so tube is flush unlike with the fit over ends you by at Home Depot. He also sells the whole tube for a very decent price.

Pete

Blog Entries

Cabelas is having a sale, they are not too badly priced and are very decent tubes for a fairly reasonable price. If you can get to a store the Bargain Cave can be a surprise! I got an aluminum Scott rod tube with sock for $7.99. Just had to ask - the man said that they had to get rid of them and who was I to argue?

[url=http://stonecreekltd.com/Rod_Tube_Kits.htm:909af]Then there are these kits[/url:909af]

Hope I have been of assistance.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:909af]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:909af]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

The UPS/Mail Stores have the cardboard mailers in various lengths. They're a "bit" heavier than the regular cardboard tubes. For any trips, (ie: air travel, car travel), I still go with the PVC. Who cares what they look like, as long as they protect our precious investment in our fly rods!!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Schedule 40 PVC, what you find in most Home Depot/Lowes, is heavy for rod tubes. Most plumbing supply places carry SDR 26 which is thinner walled than Sched 40 but slightly thicker than what ever they put in cordura covered tubes, sched 40 fittings fit it however. SDR26 is tuff enough to protect rods but lighter to carry. There is also a black PVC pipe (DWV) that is thin walled if that is more to your taste.
    I use radiator hose clamps to attach handles.

[This message has been edited by Buzz (edited 10 March 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread