+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bend, OR and Mt St Helens area, WA fishin' late March

Default Bend, OR and Mt St Helens area, WA fishin' late March

heading out to Portland/SW WA/Central OR at the end of this month and would appreciate any input regarding where to fish and what to use.

Having been to Bend once before, I have fished the Deschutes basically in town, but didn't manage to get out into the headwaters (below Lava Lake) or into any of the tribs therein (Fall River, Crooked, Metolius, etc). Very interested in decent spots and also in getting out to some of the lakes (maybe Hosmer, Sparks, that sort of thing).

Planning on being in the Mt St Helens area for a day, and would like to know if any of the lakes/streams in that area might be fishable, and again, what I should bring with me.

I will be bringing my full complement of gear - 8' 4wt and 9' 5wt, both full sink and full floating lines.

Hopefully we'll hit the March Brown hatch at some point, as I've been itching to throw a dry fly for the last few months...

Anyone in the area interested in meeting up and fishing for a day? Always looking for good company...

Thanks in advance, y'all.

Marty
    MFTG

I'd love to meet up with you for a day. It's still a little early in the year for most of the lakes, but the rivers are really turning on. The upper Deschutes will still be closed when you get here as will a good portion of the lower Deschtes, but the Metolius and the Fall River are both open and good bets for dry fly action. Send me an email and if you want we'll set something up.

Jeremy

I love central OR. In my younger years, I use to build golf courses. My company built Crosswater on the Little Deschutes in Sun River. I moved to Colorado to take care of my aging dad. When he's gone, I'll be moving back to that area. If you hit any bars in the area, say high to Tressen, Tarina & Sharon.

Matt

Although the lakes you mentioned are probably under several feet of snow right now, there are plenty of options in central Oregon. Looks like Jeremy has it dialed in for you.

Jay

Marty, the crooked river can be a very good option this time of the year. Short drive from Bend and usually lees crowded then the Fall.

When I used to live in Bend I frequently fished the Deshutes River this time of year near lower bridge area.

I think that section is still open this time of the year?

Rob

If it were me, I would stay in an inexpensive motel in Prineville and fish the Crooked at Lone Pine Campground or the Devil's Postpile. All you'll need is some tiny dries and/or emergers in 18 or smaller and any weighted/beadhead nymph in about a 16 or 18. Most of the fish will be under 9in except for occasional big surprizes. If you get on the bottom, you'll probably pick up some monster mountain whitefish. It should be pretty lonely on weekdays this time of year and it is a tailwater with pretty constant flows and temperatures. The water is always cloudy but the fish don't care.

Randy Knapp

+ Reply to Thread