+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saltwater License!

Default Saltwater License!

Does anybody else in the US have to pay for a Salwater permit? In Texas we have to buy a license and pay for either a freshwater or Saltwater stamp or both.The article on saltwater license brought this to mind.I think unless you are a commercial fisherman you shouldn't have to have a saltwater license as long as you have a fishing license for the state you are in. Just my opinion.

Yes. In Virginia they have two different departments, one handles saltwater the other freshwater. You can get either license or both or get a combined license that is a bit cheaper than buying two. Its kind of funky, in VA, that some rivers have saltwater sections that are under one department's jurisdiction, while on the otherside of the bridge (they typically use bridges as the dividing line) the river is considered freshwater and the other department has jurisdiction (makes me wonder if under the bridge is a jurisdiction free zone). Part of this is due, at least in VA, because of the Chesapeake Bay. I assume that at least part of the saltwater license fees go toward cleaning up the bay or doing something to help the bay. Anyway, there are two different rates, one for sport fisherman and one for commercial fisherman. I don't know if Maryland has a sport fisherman boat license, but a former coworker used to get a boat license that covered anyone on his boat so that they did not need licenses to fish. He did not do any guiding and rarely took friends fishing, so that's why I believe that MD has a sport fisher boat license that is relatively cheap (since he was, too). Never fished saltwater in my home state of NJ, however, I would not be surprised if they required a license too. That state was so money grubbing for everything else, when I left, that it would not surprise me. And I am not saying that a SW license is a bad thing, just that NJ kept one hand in your pocket at all times and VA's getting that way, now. Heck, if they would offer a lifetime combined salt and freshwater license, I would buy it and be done with it, but VA only offers the freshwater license.

Paul

John:
    I know Florida and California require one, and I believe that at least one or two other states also have them.

Frankly, I think its a good idea if properly enacted. It is important that the fees collected are earmarked to support the resource. This could be for facilities or enforcement. In many places the enforcement of salt water fishing regulations is very much undermanned so those who abuse them are more likely to do so.

But perhaps one of the biggest advantages is that it gives license holders more of a platform when you want to get something done in your legislature. Legislators tend to pay greater attention to the constituencies that are paying as opposed to those who get a free ride. One reason that the commercial fishing interests, the folks that are often in contention with the recreational fisherman, have the ear of the legislators is because those folks pay licensing fees.

Salt water fishing licenses are not a bad idea!

Well, guess I'll have to concentrate on freshwater only. I've already given up hunting because of license fees and the costs of having places to hunt.Eventually Outdoor sports will be only for the rich.I just don't trust that our governments will use the money for what they say it will go to.When that money is used up they'll come up with other excuses and raise fees on those saltwater permits.Guys I may have some saltwater tying supplies coming available!Sorry don't mean to sound so negative. I just don't know why it has to cost so much to go out and enjoy yourself these days.

California does not currently have a dedicated ocean/saltwater requirement in general. There are two special cases however.

1) in/around the San Francisco Bay Area, you'd need the $5.50 "Bay-Delta Sport Fishing Enhancement Stamp".

2) south of Point Arguello (Santa Barbara County), you'd need the $3.95 "Ocean Enhancement Stamp".

Otherwise, the regular "Sport Fishing license" allows you to, "...to take fish, mollusks, crustaceans, invertebrates, amphibians or reptile in inland or ocean waters. Additional stamps and report cards are required for certain species and areas."

In additional to special waters (like those mentioned above and the Colorado river), there are also some species-specific stamps (one for steelhead and another for salmon).

For more details:

[url=http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/fishdescrip.html:edde9]http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/fishdescrip.html[/url:edde9]

If I'm reading the Texas Parks and Wildlife site correctly, a freshwater liscence costs $28 and an all water liscense costs $38. That is a net cost of $10 to add the saltwater liscense. That seems awfully little to give up saltwater fishing. It also seems like a small amount to pay for fishery enforcement.

In any event, let me know when your saltwater tying equipment goes on sale.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

You're right Dunfly,that's not really bad. I just don't see our Parks and wildlife programs doing alot around here. Everytime they start something new they want more money for it. Arkansas,Mo. and Oklahoma license aren't near as much and it seems like they have better programs in there parks and the fishing is great. Don't get me wrong, I've grown up in Texas and love the fishing here in East Texas.I'll just have to grin and bear it I guess.Still might have some tying stuff available. I'll keep you in mind.Thanks for the stimulating conversation.

in maryland we have the fresh water, chesapeak bay license, rock fish stamp, crab stamp, and trout stamp. if your fishing coastal bays and ocean salt you do not need a licnese, yet.
    wont bother me as i buy the full package anyway.

------------------
    --------
    roger
    princess anne, eastern shore of md.
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

Here in Mississippi you need a $4.00 saltwater license if fishing south of Hwy-90.
    For fishing between Hwy-90 and I-10 you need either a freshwater license ($8.00) to the salt water license. North if I-10 then you need the freshwater license. I think the saltwater license is tied to a Federal requirement not state.

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    State Certified Hunter Education Instructor
    Hickory, MS

As I posted over on the Saltwater board, there may be an interesting situation arising in NJ this year.

NJ has no saltwater license, and requiring one is bitterly opposed by saltwater anglers in NJ.

But, I think Delaware has passed a Saltwater License Law this year. So if you live in NJ and fish Delaware Bay, you will need to buy a *non-resident* Delaware salt water license. Or that would be the logical conclusion anyway. That should make some people real happy.

And it possibly could lead to a salt water license in NJ down the road.

+ Reply to Thread