+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: furled leaders

Default furled leaders

Quick question, I am getting into tying furled leaders, but does anyone ever pre-treat them with water repellent (spray stuff like scotch guard)? I have this spray silicone for shoes and I was toying with the idea of spraying them with it and letting them dry. Or is Mucilin the way to go?

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

FG,

I prefer the mucilin (red tin) on my furled leaders. Sometimes I want the leader to float, sometimes I don't (sorta like an Almond Joy and Mounds).

REE

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/012817.html:3b99a]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/012817.html[/url:3b99a]

See the post by Jim Cramer somewhere on that thread. I can't say myself, but he doesn't like the use of water repellents on furled leaders.

Mucilin seems to be the choice of the experts.

[This message has been edited by BigFlatBrook (edited 08 March 2006).]

NoahsBoyz,

Now that's funny I don't care who ya are!!!

It's always about the nuts!!! LOL!!!

Terry
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Interesting. I got the Green Mucilin and I notice that everyone on this forum prefers red. I don't nymph with my furled leaders so to speak. The thread ones are for dry's only. I am making one out of Kevlar for the nymphing.

------------------

I use that silicone when I make indicators. It probably wouldnt hurt the leaders any. I love furled leaders for fishing drys. Everything just unfolds beutifully every time. I always just run a little floatant on the furled part at the beginning of the day. With all those ridges it seems to stay on all day.

------------------
    Born to fish forced to work.
    Alan

Fly Goddess,

I read somewhere on this board where, I think, someone rubs their furled thread leaders with a cloth with a little varnish in it. They rubbed the varnish in real good and then wiped them down and allowed them to air dry. I will continue to try and find that post for you.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Hi,

That red tin - green tin debate is really a good natured carryover from bamboo. Rodmakers don't want silicone around since it prevents varnish from sticking to the cane; this probably has nothing to do with fishing the rods later, hence the good natured part. Both work, as do many pastes for the reasons Jim states so well. For nymphing, the only problem is wearing off the wax if you've used waxed Unithread, as far as I'm concerned, unless you want it to sink even faster than bare polyester allows.

my 2 cents,
    Kat

WarrenP, that is so weird, I just hung up from talking to my ol' man and he mentioned the varnish thing.
    I guess I will try this shoe spray, let it dry over night and then give it a go.

------------------

Thanks Kathy, we were also talking about your video. On the list of gotta get.

------------------

+ Reply to Thread