+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 weight Bamboo Rod Length Suggestion

Default 3 weight Bamboo Rod Length Suggestion

Hello,

I have an opportunity to purchase a Dave Cottengim Bamboo Rod. I've done some research and have watched his e-bay rods go flying out the door! I'm buying a 3 weight, as I love light rods, and will be using it to chase some native brookies and stocked rainbows up here in New England.

I do like a little more fully action especially in my light line application. What do you recommend as a length for a 3 weight and why? I have a choice between 6 feet and 6 foot 6. The rivers I primarily fished are fished perfectly fine with a 9 weight. I have a 6'9" TFO finesse 1 weight that I use right now....

Any thoughts from this pool of wisdom is appreciated!
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

I can't comment on Dave's rods but I do a lot of fishing for wild brookies and use a 6'6" rod more than anything else. It is a nice length rod that gives you a bit of extra reach if you need it but is very manageable in tighter quarters. In bamboo it may also be a tad slower too which IMHO is what makes those little fish feel like monsters.

Good luck with your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    I can't comment on Dave's rods but I do a lot of fishing for wild brookies and use a 6'6" rod more than anything else. It is a nice length rod that gives you a bit of extra reach if you need it but is very manageable in tighter quarters. In bamboo it may also be a tad slower too which IMHO is what makes those little fish feel like monsters.

Good luck with your choice!

thank you. I figured adding the extra 6 inches would make the action a little more full. I used to be very gungho about fast rods, and I still do like them, for my saltwater applications. but Lately, I've find myself gravitating towards rods that seem to do a little more work, and a little slower feel. The extra tippet protection is a plus.

I'm excited because the 3 weight is the gap in my rods. I've been saving the 3/4 weight in rod purchases, because I wanted to fill it with a nice little bamboo rod.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    - Riddle

I'm a slow rod fanatic!!

While I have no idea if it is an option or not, stick with a 2 piece if you have choice. The less ferrules you can have on bamboo rods that short, the better.

Enjoy!

I am not familiar with any of this builders rods, but would opt for the longer 6' 6" model. This is stlll a short rod and I think the longer of the two will just cast smoother and play the catch better.
    Max

i prefer a 7'3" rod in a 3 or 4w

Thank you for the suggestions. For the rod requested, he only offers 6 or 6'6". Which is okay by me for chasing some native brookies up here in NEw England.

It will definitely be a two piece rod.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    - Riddle

Blog Entries

yup, i would go 6' 6". my own bamboo is 6'6" 4 wt and us juuuust right. something about bamboo.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
    something about bamboo.
    I have a previous REally cheaply made Bamboo Rod from China. It was an ebay special. The craftsman ship was okay. and yes it did cast and it was amazing to feel the flow of cane. But then the poor craftsmanship began to show. I can't wait for this Rod and hoping I get to flex it under a couple of brookies this spring! I've definitely got the Boo bug, just not the 'boo finances yet haha
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    - Riddle

+ Reply to Thread